Do I really need next.js for pure SSG on Netlify?

Hi, seeking general advice please,

The question is: Why Next.JS? If I want the benefits of the static paradigm, can’t Netlify handle that on its own?

(New to Netlify, new to Nextjs, but somewhat experienced with “traditional” React)

I don’t need a whole thesis on Next, but really, what does it add to Netlify?

The apps I’m building are complex, rich, dynamic, highly interactive, data driven. Not “websites”. But the point is, much of it (the HTML UI) can be CDN delivered. I’m confident in that. Also, I’m definitely moving to FaunaDB as well.

My goal is pure SSG if possible, can always become a hybrid with SSR using Netlify Functions (I think).

Opinions? Ideas? Advice?

PPS Thanks for the great forum structure and community setup/work.

Good article that describes differences

1 Like

Thanks!

Yes, that’s a good article. And there are many good articles on what CSR, SSR, and SSG are, and how to choose based on needs.

The question remains: given that I have definitely determined that SSG is my goal (thus Netlify :gift_heart:), is there anything that NextJS add to a SSG Netlify project? Or, more specifically, the Next on Netlify Build Plugin?

(Mainly it adds SSR capability… which I don’t need at this time)

Hiya @blar that’s really a call you’ll have to make yourself, but our next-on-netlify lead suggested that this blog is a good “interesting feature listing”: Blog - Next.js 10 | Next.js . The other big thing that next offers is Preview Mode - and all of those fall into the realm of things that any SSG’d app (using any framework) could take advantage of using Netlify :slight_smile:

My feeling is that you’d want to make the call about what features you need and what frameworks you like (javascript? react?) to choose what to learn. There are SSG’s in most languages to fit your existing skillset, so my usual advice is to find one that has a language & community you like too since you will likely be working with them to troubleshoot :slight_smile: