Deploys started failing overnight - "failed to prepare repo"

Yesterday I posted a PR, committed to it twice, and got 3 successful deploys. Today I pushed another commit…and nothing. No attempted build preview deploy.

So I forked the repo from my organization account to my personal account, set up a new site, and it deployed correctly.

I then got it right and merged to main on my org account, which should trigger an automatic production deploy. Nothing happened.

So I triggered a deploy manually, and I finally got a build failure!

Failing build: Failed to prepare repo
Failed during stage 'preparing repo': error checking for ref: fatal: could not read Username for 'https://github.com': No such device or address

I am using a private org repo on the starter tier, which it says should continue working until Sept 30. Did Netlify push an update that broke that early?

Site: https://learn.digdeeproots.com/
App title: learn-digdeeproots-com
Build: default (use npm)…though I’m not getting that far.
Repo is on GitHub, connected using the Netlify GitHub app.

Did you try to unlink and re-link the repo from the UI?

I can’t. Because this is a private org repo, it won’t let me create a new link. If I unlink, it is gone forever.

Looks like you’ve deleted the site - do you still need help?

Hi,

We are having a similar issue. Our builds start failing overnight with the following message:

11:22:53 AM: Failed during stage ‘preparing repo’: For more information, visit Build troubleshooting tips | Netlify Docs Host key verification failed.

fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

I was about to try “unlinking” and linking our github repo but the confirmation message says we’d lose our build hooks, which will have massive impact on our deploy pipelines.

Is there a way to correct this issue without having to unlink/link?

Thanks,
Jorge

Hi, thanks for reaching out. I escalated your query to our help desk. They will follow up shortly.