Deploy / build hung at 'uploading' permanently

Hi, @pdeka, would you please send us the links to the failed deploys? Once we have this information we will be about to troubleshoot the issue.

Netlify.toml

[[plugins]]
package = “netlify-plugin-gatsby-cache”

Production context: All deploys from the main

repository branch will inherit these settings.

[context.production]
command = “GATSBY_EXPERIMENTAL_PAGE_BUILD_ON_DATA_CHANGES=true gatsby build --log-pages”
publish = “./public/”
[context.production.environment]
FACEBOOK_PAGE_ID=“”
FACEBOOK_GRAPH_TOKEN=“”
SITE_URL=“https://epropertyaus.com/”;
HOME_PAGE_NAME=“Property List Page”
SHOW_PROPERTIES=“true”
PRISMIC_URL=“https://epropertyv2.prismic.io/graphql”;
LOCALES=“en-au”
FAVICON_ICON_URL=“https://images.prismic.io/epropertyv2/faeaa87e-3531-42b8-913b-ee535690d571_favicon.png?auto=compress,format&rect=0,0,50,50&w=512&h=512”;
YARN_VERSION=“1.22.4”
NODE_VERSION=“12.16.1”
NPM_VERSION=“6.14.2”
GATSBY_EXPERIMENTAL_PAGE_BUILD_ON_DATA_CHANGES=“true”
WEBSITE_GIT_LOG=“Not showing logs”
NODE_ENV=“production"

.yarnrc

workspaces-experimental true
yarn-offline-mirror "./packages-cache”
yarn-offline-mirror-pruning true
child-concurrency 20

package.json dependencies

“dependencies”: {
“gatsby-theme-narrabeen”: "1.2.0-alpha.3”,
@babel/polyfill”: “~7.2.5”,
“gatsby-source-prismic-graphql”: “~3.5.0”,
“netlify-plugin-gatsby-cache”: “^0.2.1”
},

hey pdeka, it says at the very bottom that you cancelled the build?
when it got stuck before, how long was it stuck for?

3:18:17 PM: Finished processing build request in 3m28.265111629s

3:51:51 PM: Canceling deploy

Thanks for helping me out. If I don’t cancel it, it generally gets stuck forever from the looks of it.

I had to remove build plugins from the site as I might need to deploy changes to the site soon.

But if you want I can reinstall build plugins in the site.

It would be great if you could tell me what I am doing wrong.

Here is another one for you to look at :Netlify App

BTW, this happens everytime and not just occasionally.

Would really love a solution as soon as possible. We are using up all our build minutes given we have 42 sites and we are using up build minutes quite quickly because of content updates.

@fool @perry any updates?

hi pdeka, as we’re talking with you in the helpdesk about this, we will share any updates with you there! We won’t forget - promise.

Hi Team Netlify,

I’ve also got a deploy hung at “uploading”. Tried cancelling and triggering a new deploy without success. Eventually I got this working by removing two JS files from the functions directory (these didn’t export a handler). I understand that could be a problem, but not sure why Netlify doesn’t stop and show an error. So figured I’d still post this here.

You can find the deploys here:

App ID: 353a3054-34af-4fef-848e-c1c2e4d976e0
Deploy IDs:

• 5f6f38d433d3ba0007098c50 (manually cancelled after 14 minutes)
  • 5f6f3b9427857673fdd08743 (manually cancelled after 31 minutes)
  • 5f6f3e9ec5ec74000856e9f3

Hi @jbmoelker

We have an existing issue where functions with a dot in the name (eg: “foo.bar”) cause this behaviour.

Can you check if that’s the case? And if so, rename or remove those functions?

We have an issue filed for it, and I’ll add your case to it and try to prioritize.

2 Likes

Hi @kito, my files indeed had a dot in the name. But it actually weren’t functions at all:

functions/
  function-a.js
  function-a.schema.js
  function-b.js
  function-b.schema.js

I moved from unbundled JavaScript functions structure, to a simplified single functions directory. That meant the *.schema.js files could no longer be next to their *.js files. The schema files didn’t expose a handler. I thought that was the problem. But maybe it was just because of the dot in the name.

Thanks for the update @jbmoelker.
Yes, anything that’s under the functions/ directory is a considered a function and sent with the deploy data. So the root problem was the dot in function-a.schema.js (and function-b). Since you removed those with the simplified directory, it solved the problem.

1 Like

Wanted to follow up on this thread that we now log a useful error message when this happens so you can self-diagnose problems like these:

** ERROR **
The following serverless functions failed to deploy: func.name.js
Change the function names to contain only alphanumeric characters, hyphen & underscores
1 Like