CMS Deploy Preview

I’m running into an issue where Deploy Previews will only show up in Github Pull Requests created by Netlify CMS if I enable Branch Deploys on all branches.

Regular pull requests still trigger Deploy Previews without enabling Branch Deploys on all branches.

I’m currently using the Github backend and everything else seems to be working as normal. I am running Netlify CMS on a non master branch because I was attempting to work out all the issues before pushing the functionality live.

Hmm, on my site, the CMS previews always target master. When you look at a PR in git, are the PR’s targeting staging or master? We’ll only build PR’s targeting the branch(es) you have configured us to build.

That was the problem. Since I was testing Netlify CMS on a staging branch the pull requests targeted the staging branch. This required me to enable Branch Deploys on all branches in order to get the pull request to generate a Deploy Preview.

Once I pushed the CMS changes to master, the Deploy Previews worked without enabling Branch Deploys on all branches, since the pull requests targeted the master branch.

I think the issue boils down to me being confused by the deploy preview description in the UI “Automatically build deploy previews for all pull requests. Every pull request gets deployed in its own context with a unique URL.”

This text should specify it will only generate a deploy preview for “pull requests that target the branch(es) you have configured us to build” to prevent confusion.

thanks for sharing your thoughts, @abstractcoder. We’ll take a closer look and see if we can maybe make this clearer!