Builds fail during 'Reading and parsing configuration files'

My builds started to fail seemingly out of nowhere, no changes to my netlify.config file.

Netlify site name: Netlify App

Build Log:

3:07:12 PM: Build ready to start

3:07:14 PM: build-image version: 30f629161c0736b1a3ecd8b418e5eeffab5c0faf

3:07:14 PM: build-image tag: v3.3.14

3:07:14 PM: buildbot version: c980c7a2b0cdc16927ea1bb1814a6a694d503101

3:07:14 PM: Fetching cached dependencies

3:07:14 PM: Starting to download cache of 254.9KB

3:07:14 PM: Finished downloading cache in 87.367537ms

3:07:14 PM: Starting to extract cache

3:07:14 PM: Failed to fetch cache, continuing with build

3:07:14 PM: Starting to prepare the repo for build

3:07:15 PM: No cached dependencies found. Cloning fresh repo

3:07:15 PM: git clone git@gitlab.com:glance/glance-help-website

3:07:19 PM: Preparing Git Reference refs/heads/master

3:07:23 PM: Failing build: Failed to parse configuration

3:07:23 PM: Failed during stage ‘Reading and parsing configuration files’:

hey there, that’s frustrating. Lets do some troubleshooting.

Does this happen every time? Or only sometimes?

Is the repo public? if yes, can you link it, if no, could you post your package.json file?

are you uploading a local netlify.toml file?

Hey Perry, this was happening two days ago on 5/27 but I saw no build issues yesterday or today. It happened nearly all the time, but occasionally when I cleared cache and rebuilt it would publish successfully. This happened on both branch and master builds.

I saw there were outages on 5/26 on the status site, so I thought maybe there were some residual issues persisting the next day? While I was experiencing this, I googled the error and I came across this github issue `failed during stage 'Reading and parsing configuration files': unexpected end of JSON input` · Issue #1189 · netlify/build · GitHub. It’s from around the same time frame so I don’t know if it’s also related.

Regardless everything is fine now and working, but if you have any info on if you think this is related to some netlify latency issues, or if there’s something I should do to prevent this from happening in the future. Thanks!

hey ntosh, thanks for doing all that research. There was a little bit of turbulence for us over the last few days, but we’ve cleared out the problems to the best of my knowledge, and this matches what you’re seeing, as in, things are working problem free now.

I don’t think this is going to be an ongoing issue, but if you do see odd behaviour, please do exactly what you did and post here in the forums.

Ok thanks, good to hear. Will definitely post if I encounter any other issues. Outages happen :slight_smile: if Netlify is aware of any outages, would be great to see some communication in the community, as I spent a few days thinking I had royally messed something up myself, haha. Thanks!

you know, usually we have a global banner that gets posted in Community if there are any outages on our Statuspage. The outage we had rendered that functionality inoperable, so at the moment we are working on changing the way that functionality works so that even if Netlify is down, there will still be a notice that gets automatically triggered.

If you are on twitter, you can always check our status bot:

https://twitter.com/netlifystatus

And our official status page (basically the single source of truth to which everything else is chained) is here: