Building site": build script returned non-zero exit code:1

Hello friends,

I came back to my website and made some changes and push it. But it failed during stage “building site”: build script returned non-zero exit code:1

Could someone help me please about figuring out what may be cause this trouble ?

Please find below the Deploy log:

Thank you for your help.

Hi there, glad you found us :wave: before we can help you, we need a little more information on the issues you are facing.

First, have you looked through this resource? It is a compilation of all of our build and deploy resources. This is a good starting point.

If you have worked through those guides and are still encountering issues please share the following information:

• the name of your build instance: “example-jones.netlify.com
  • what you have already tried
  • any error messages you have received in your terminal window or in the developer console
1 Like

Hi @SamO , thank you for your reply.

build instance name: elastic-volhard-7c727a.netlify.app/

I have previously deployed this website and everything went on fine as shown here: Netlify App

I came back to it and edit some stuff and it’s working fine (locally). I also edited the Build image selection within netlify Build & Deploy by changing from Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 (deprecated) to Ubuntu Focal 20.04 (default).

Is it probably that change causing this trouble ?

I am using Ubuntu under WSL2 and I didn’t change the old versions used to build the website.

Thank you for your help.

You’re using an ancient version of Node: Netlify App (Node 8). We can no longer provide troubleshooting steps about it. Please upgrade your Node Version.

1 Like

Hi Netlify

This app is built upon Node 8, I previously deployed it on Netlify without any trouble and it’s still working fine locally.

I also edited the build image selection within netlify build & deploy by changing from ubuntu xenial 16 to focal 20. This may probably be the cause. Could you help me change it back to ubuntu 16 ?

Thank you

Mandjo

Hi @hrishikesh @SamO

This app is built upon Node 8, I previously deployed it on Netlify without any trouble and it’s still working fine locally.

I also edited the build image selection within netlify build & deploy by changing from ubuntu xenial 16 to focal 20. This may probably be the cause. Could you help me change it back to ubuntu 16 ?

Thank you

Mandjo

I’m confused. Can I ask why you aren’t using an updated version of Node?

1 Like

Because it’s not working when I change to another version of Node.

Which version have you tried? Node 16 works fine on Netlify.

Hi @SamO

My application is running locally with Node 8.17 and it’s with that engine I deployed it on Netflify.
Could you please look at the log and help with that please ?

Thanks
Mandjo

Have you tried updating the version of Node.js you are running locally? Node.js 8 reached end of life several years ago.

Alternatively you could build locally and deploy using Netlify CLI if you wish to continue using Node.js 8.

1 Like

Hello @hrishikesh

My application is running locally with Node 8.17 and if I try to upgrade it, it crash. But I previously (last year) deployed it on Netflify without any problem.

I do understant that you’re no longer providing troubleshooting steps about this version of Node but is there any advice so that I can be able to edit and deploy?

Thanks
Mandjo