Using `--alias` is deploying to production! (without --prod)

I think I understand what you’re saying, but honestly I find it cognitively confusing. The alias flag was renamed to from the branch flag, and the branch flag is now deprecated. Your explanation makes sense if you think about it as if the flag is named branch because then I could say “well I’m deploying the branch which I have defined as my production branch so I expect it to go to prod”. But if the flag is named alias and the documentation says that this is useful in order to create a more predictable preview URL, then the association between that and what I chose to be the production branch is gone.

Essentially they’re still an implicit connection between “alias” and git branches.

Having said that, this behavior simplifies my ci action, I can simply never use the prod flag and always rely on the value of the alias flag to decide whether or not to deploy to production.

I guess that might bring the question if there isn’t some overlap here with functionality, and it’s worth thinking about the miscommunication that deploying to production is possible without the prod flag.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying!

1 Like