Unexpected extra post when I submit a form using Netlify dev

I’ve been posting a form from “netlify dev” with an action that is a function. Netlify forms integration is turned off.

Today I updated the CLI and find I get an extra , somewhat amusing, but bloated request sent before the form POST

URL: https://app.netlify.com/ld-events/events/bulk/5e42e94d6bd2ec08061adf53 
Headers: {},
Body "[{\"kind\":\"identify\",\"key\":\"anonymous-quokka\",\"user\":{\"key\":\"anonymous-quokka\",\"privateAttrs\":[\"email\"]},\"creationDate\":1644079480385},{\"startDate\":1644079480575,\"endDate\":1644079480576,\"features\":{\"analytics_filters_previous_next_buttons\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":2}]},\"bitballoon_bypass_akismet\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":5}]},\"bitballoon_register_scheduled_functions\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":145}]},\"buildbot_es_modules_esbuild\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":2}]},\"charlie2_test_mvt\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":\"default\",\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":2}]},\"deprecate_list_forms_endpoint\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":3}]},\"form_submission_emails_subaccount\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":9}]},\"log-drains-s3-verification\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":6}]},\"netlify_labs\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":18}]},\"project_barraskewda2_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":8}]},\"project_barraskewda_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":924}]},\"project_combee_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":4}]},\"project_dewgong_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":24}]},\"project_eevee\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":674}]},\"project_eevee_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":2}]},\"project_evolution_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":\"off\",\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":3}]},\"project_glastrier_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":12}]},\"project_gloom_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":3}]},\"project_grookey_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":13}]},\"project_gurdurr_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":{},\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":26}]},\"project_igglybuff_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":28}]},\"project_jigglypuff2_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":9}]},\"project_jigglypuff_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":2450}]},\"project_jirachi_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":3}]},\"project_kecleon_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":4}]},\"project_magneton_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":20}]},\"project_nidorina_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":6}]},\"project_phantump_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":7}]},\"project_rapidash_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":10}]},\"project_rattata_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":2}]},\"project_rillaboom_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":8}]},\"project_snorlax2_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":9}]},\"project_snorlax_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":227}]},\"project_thwackey_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":19}]},\"project_toxapex_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":10}]},\"project_treecko_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":35}]},\"project_vanilluxe2_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":3}]},\"project_vanilluxe_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":7}]},\"project_wailmer_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":7}]},\"project_weepinbell_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":2}]},\"project_wigglytuff_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":17}]},\"project_zarude_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":\"0\",\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":22}]},\"project_zigzagoon_ui\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":2}]},\"quokka_bitly\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":true,\"count\":1,\"variation\":0,\"version\":4}]},\"site_deploys_channel\":{\"default\":null,\"counters\":[{\"value\":false,\"count\":1,\"variation\":1,\"version\":2}]}},\"kind\":\"s

Any ideas why? It’s cluttering up my info logs with noise.

thanks

Ah - my bad - I had inadvertently swapped from testing localhost to the deployed https://deploy-preview-73--wai-authoring-tools-list.netlify.app. D’oh. Sorry.

Still I love to know why that crazy extra HTTP post when Netlify forms are disabled? Your metrics gathering?

1 Like

Hey @slim,

I’m not sure what exactly you mean by that. Could you clarify?

@hrishikesh

I’m not sure what exactly you mean by that. Could you clarify?

Sure, sorry. So:

• making a standard HTML form submission from a Netlify deployed site, using the default browser Submit button behaviour (ie no javascript extended behaviour)
  • I expect to see a single POST/GET to the URI specified in the form element action attribute. Nothing else.
  • especially when Netlify forms processing is turned OFF
  • however Playwright testing framework is showing an extra request being sent to https://app.netlify.com/ld-events/events/bulk/<thing> with the crazy payload shown above. I’ve not looked but I expect to see the same in the browser F12 network tab.

Why? What is it?

Thanks.

Hey @slim,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner! I missed this thread.

So yeah, you were making request to:

https://deploy-preview-73--wai-authoring-tools-list.netlify.app

That’s a page with Netlify CDN enabled. Those pages collect some metric data to track user engagement with that feature.

1 Like

Ok, thanks, my suspicions were correct then :0