First of all, I am a Netlify newbie so I suspect some of my questions will seem stupid but I need to ask them anyways
I am trying to evaluate Netlify for our needs by building a prototype and having a hard time understanding some of the capabilities / limitations of the environment. I think it’s easiest to first outline my goal and then present the questions.
- Build React front end for interacting back end service.
- Store a set of several thousand images in a way a user cannot access them.
- Build backend service that can perform image manipulation, convert stored images into binary array and upload to 3rd party service.
- Return image URI to specific image from back end to front end for rendering to the user.
Now, #1 is trivial and I have that working. Questions:
- I am trying to avoid a database as I really don’t need one I don’t think. For image storage described with #2 I just need the ability to store images in a non public fashion that the back end service can access. Why the backend? I haven’t found a good way of being able to utilize image and file manipulation within the client side code that doesn’t A) violate security concerns or B) expose the full image set for the user to see. My understanding is that a function can utilize normal node.js and utilize functionality not possible with the client code.
Is there a way to include a arbitrary image set as part of a Netlify build (lumped with function defintions?) that isn’t available to the user?
- I have looked at some tutorials but its unclear where to define the functions location within my React project. Using the simplistic project upload of just dropping the React build directory into the GUI I don’t even see a netlify.toml file so where should I create that so it gets included in my build directory output?
Thanks in advance