[Support Guide] Troubleshooting your Netlify Large Media Configuration

Hi!

I am having the authentication error as well, but I made the mistake of trying to fix it before coming to the community to look for help, and ended up removing my site’s repo in my local machine to clone it again.

When I tried to clone it, however, I’m being asked the credentials to my site, and it doesn’t accept any combination (my account’s password or an auth token I generated for it):

arthr@charlie Sites % git clone git@github.com:arthrfrts/vulcana.git
Cloning into 'vulcana'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 43, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (43/43), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (39/39), done.
remote: Total 1041 (delta 11), reused 29 (delta 0), pack-reused 998
Receiving objects: 100% (1041/1041), 761.76 KiB | 1.02 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (321/321), done.
time="2020-04-19T11:11:14-03:00" level=error msg="Aborting Netlify credential helper execution" error="Unknown Netlify site: `4adda594-13b5-40dc-8fa4-9220d1f9c2f9.netlify.com`"
Username for 'https://4adda594-13b5-40dc-8fa4-9220d1f9c2f9.netlify.com': 

Any help will be appreciated :expressionless:

Hi, @arthr, this has to do with the change to .app from .com.

Would you please test the following steps to resolves this issue?

First, upgrade Netlify CLI like so:

npm i netlify-cli -g

Second, edit this repo’s file named .lfsconfig and change this:

[lfs]
	url = https://4adda594-13b5-40dc-8fa4-9220d1f9c2f9.netlify.com/.netlify/large-media

to this:

[lfs]
	url = https://4adda594-13b5-40dc-8fa4-9220d1f9c2f9.netlify.app/.netlify/large-media

Finally, commit the changed .lfsconfig file and git push again.

Note, you might need to log out and in again with this:

netlify logout
netlify login

If this doesn’t resolve the issue, please let us know.

1 Like

Hi @luke! Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately I still can’t clone my repo (I edited the file through the GitHub website):

arthr@charlie Sites % git clone git@github.com:arthrfrts/vulcana.git
Cloning into 'vulcana'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 80, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (80/80), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (76/76), done.
remote: Total 1078 (delta 33), reused 26 (delta 0), pack-reused 998
Receiving objects: 100% (1078/1078), 768.61 KiB | 1.04 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (343/343), done.
Username for 'https://4adda594-13b5-40dc-8fa4-9220d1f9c2f9.netlify.app':

Hi, @arthr. Would you please run netlify lm:info and see if the Netlify’s Git Credentials helper is version 0.1.8 or 0.1.9?

$ netlify lm:info
  ✔ Checking Git version [2.26.2]
  ✔ Checking Git LFS version [2.10.0]
  ✔ Checking Git LFS filters
  ✔ Checking Netlify's Git Credentials version [0.1.9]

If the version is 0.1.8, upgrading should resolve the issue. The upgrade can be done with this:

npm i -g netlify-cli
netlify plugins:install netlify-lm-plugin
netlify lm:install

Once this is done, please run netlify lm:info again and confirm the version is now 0.1.9. If it is then please try cloning the repo again and let us know if this resolves the issue or not.

If there are questions about any of this, we’ll be happy to answer.

1 Like

Thanks, @luke! It worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

My issue is that netlify:info states that I don’t have Git LFS installed which isn’t true:

√ Checking Git version [2.19.0.windows.1]
× Checking Git LFS version
→ Check that Git LFS is installed in your system
√ Checking Git LFS filters
× Checking Netlify’s Git Credentials version
→ Check that Netlify’s Git Credential helper is installed and updated to the latest version

Then if I run the git lfs version it results in a correct version installed:

git-lfs/2.5.1 (GitHub; windows amd64; go 1.10.3; git e1628484)

Thanks for the help in advance.

Hi, @gregwhitworth, and welcome to the Netlify community site.

Would you please run these three commands and let us know if this resolves the issue?

netlify lm:install
netlify lm:info

If it does not, would you then please post the output of those commands here?

Hey guys! I’m trying yo use Netlify LM in a project that already used netlify cms and gatsby… I followed all the steps mentioned above but when I run netlify lm:setup I get the following error:

⠹ Provisioning Netlify Large Media
  ✖ Provisioning Netlify Large Media
    → Error {"error":"Large Media addon doesn't support manual deploy"}
    Configuring Git LFS for this site
Error: Error {"error":"Large Media addon doesn't support manual deploy"}
    at createAddon (/Users/mmugeiro/.local/share/netlify-cli/node_modules/netlify-lm-plugin/node_modules/netlify/src/addons.js:24:11)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:97:5)
    at async Task.task (/Users/mmugeiro/.local/share/netlify-cli/node_modules/netlify-lm-plugin/lib/commands/lm/setup.js:30:21) {
  context: [Object: null prototype] {}
}

Does anyone know what this might be about? Thanks in advance.

Large Media is a Git LFS service. The error above implies that this site doesn’t have Git repo linked to it and is using manual deploys.

This error is saying: “You are not using a Git repo for this site. If you are not using Git, you cannot be using Git LFS. If you are not using Git LFS, then you cannot use Large Media.”

What site is this for? Is there a Git repo linked to the site for builds?

Hi, I used in the past Netlify large media with no problem. I tried again today and run some credential problems I think (I’m asked the netlify user/pwd when git push origin, which always fail). I spent hours reading the forum & trying various things, could not solve the issue :woozy_face:. So I uninstalled everything and reinstalled.

But then I get this error when running netlify lm:install:
√ Checking Git version [2.21.0.windows.1]
√ Checking Git LFS version [2.7.1]
↓ Installing Netlify’s Git Credential Helper for Windows [skipped]
→ Netlify’s Git Credential Helper already installed with a package manager
× Configuring Git to use Netlify’s Git Credential Helper
→ ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘C:\Users\Administrateur.000.netlify\helper\git-config’
Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘C:\Users\Administrateur.000.netlify\helper\git-config’
at Object.openSync (fs.js:458:3)
at Object.writeFileSync (fs.js:1355:35)
at configureGitConfig (C:\Users\Administrateur.000\AppData\Local\netlify-cli\node_modules\netlify-lm-plugin\lib\install.js:212:8)
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:97:5) {
errno: -4058,
syscall: ‘open’,
code: ‘ENOENT’,
path: ‘C:\Users\Administrateur.000\.netlify\helper\git-config’,
context: [Object: null prototype] {}
}

I think I’ve deleted the .netlify in my home directory, hence the error. How to recover from this ?

Thank you. I’m on Windows64, using cygwin and/or DOS prompt.

Yes, the project I’m working on has a git repo linked to it. It’s a company project and all of our projects’ repos are on Gitlab. Maybe it’s something Gitlab related?

Hi, @mmugeiro, the Git credential helper is normally installed in the .netlify subdirectory of the user’s home directory. If this directory was deleted, then the Git credential helper was deleted also.

As a first step, I would recommend uninstalling and then reinstalling the Git Credential Helper. The logs say this:

→ Netlify’s Git Credential Helper already installed with a package manager

I’m not sure how the Git Credential Helper was originally installed. Did you use a package manager? The logging implies the software believes this is the case. If so, uninstalling and reinstalling using the package manager would be my first recommendation.

You can check if this resolved the issue after installing by checking the for following file:

C:\Users\Administrateur.000\.netlify\helper\git-config

Please let us know if this doesn’t resolve the issue and/or if there are any questions about this.

Thanks Luke.

The problem is I have no idea how to uninstall the Netlify Git Credential Helper ! I guess it was installed when I ran (from Netlify credential helper github page):

1. Install Netlify CLI if you have not yet: npm install -g netlify-cli
  2. Install Netlify’s Large Media plugin: netlify plugins:install netlify-lm-plugin
  3. Run the LM Setup: netlify lm:setup .

I don’t even know what is a package manager in this case… :confused:

I tried:
netlify plugins:uninstall netlify-lm-plugin
Uninstalling netlify-lm-plugin… done
Installing plugin netlify-lm-plugin… installed v1.0.0
netlify lm:setup:
√ Provisioning Netlify Large Media
√ Configuring Git LFS for this site

√ Checking Netlify’s Git Credentials version [0.1.8]

In ~/.netlify I have a single config.json file, not the helper/git-config you mentionned. My .gitconfig contains [credential] helper=netlify

git lfs status tells me I have 4 GIT LFS object to be pushed to origin/master.

But git push origin master still hangs. I ran using the log options and it appears it keeps trying to connect without success…

< HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
< Content-Length: 55
< Age: 0
< Alt-Svc: clear
< Connection: keep-alive
< Content-Type: application/json
< Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 22:10:18 GMT
< Server: Netlify
< Vary: Origin
< Via: 1.1 google
< X-Nf-Request-Id: 97a21f71-887d-41ce-acce-a35a07d57194-14824135
<
00:10:16.405996 trace git-lfs: HTTP: {“code”:401,“msg”:“Expected the Base64 encoded string”}
{“code”:401,“msg”:“Expected the Base64 encoded string”}00:10:16.431635 exec-cmd.c:236 trace: resolved executable dir: C:/Program Files/Git/mingw64/libexec/git-core
00:10:16.435235 git.c:419 trace: built-in: git credential reject
00:10:16.435235 run-command.c:643 trace: run_command: ‘git credential-manager erase’
00:10:16.496758 exec-cmd.c:236 trace: resolved executable dir: C:/Program Files/Git/mingw64/libexec/git-core
00:10:16.499757 git.c:676 trace: exec: git-credential-manager erase
00:10:16.499757 run-command.c:643 trace: run_command: git-credential-manager erase
00:10:16.846661 trace git-lfs: api: http response indicates “basic” authentication. Resubmitting…
00:10:16.846661 trace git-lfs: creds: git credential fill (“https”, “XXXXXXXXXXXX.netlify.app”, “”)
00:10:16.864608 exec-cmd.c:236 trace: resolved executable dir: C:/Program Files/Git/mingw64/libexec/git-core
00:10:16.867606 git.c:419 trace: built-in: git credential fill
00:10:16.868605 run-command.c:643 trace: run_command: ‘git credential-manager get’
00:10:16.922762 exec-cmd.c:236 trace: resolved executable dir: C:/Program Files/Git/mingw64/libexec/git-core
00:10:16.925616 git.c:676 trace: exec: git-credential-manager get
00:10:16.925616 run-command.c:643 trace: run_command: git-credential-manager get
00:10:17.156469 trace git-lfs: filepathfilter: rewrite “.git” as “/.git/
00:10:17.157469 trace git-lfs: filepathfilter: rewrite “/.git" as "/.git”
00:10:17.157469 trace git-lfs: filepathfilter: accepting “tmp”

Exiting because of “interrupt” signal.

Hi, @jjazzboss, the 401 happening because either a) you are not logged in or b) the Netlify Git Credential Helper is the wrong version.

I’m pretty certain that it is issue “b”. The current version of the credential helper is 0.1.9 but I see 0.1.8 reported above.

Would you test updating the Netlify CLI tool itself using this?

npm i -g netlify-cli
netlify plugins:uninstall netlify-lm-plugin
netlify lm:setup

After this done, please check the versions again with:

Now version 0.1.9 should be reported similar to this below:

✔ Checking Git version [2.26.2]
  ✔ Checking Git LFS version [2.10.0]
  ✔ Checking Git LFS filters
  ✔ Checking Netlify's Git Credentials version [0.1.9]

You may need to login again as well after doing this:

netlify login

If this still doesn’t resolve the issue, please let us know.

I tested the command sequence but it’s still 0.1.8 instead of 0.1.9.

The “npm” command was successful but produced a warning I did not understand, about the package-lock.json file… I left the file unchanged. See below.

$ npm i -g netlify-cli
npm WARN using --force I sure hope you know what you are doing.
npm WARN deprecated urix@0.1.0: Please see GitHub - lydell/urix: [DEPRECATED] Makes Windows-style paths more unix and URI friendly.
npm WARN deprecated resolve-url@0.2.1: GitHub - lydell/resolve-url: [DEPRECATED] Like Node.js’ `path.resolve`/`url.resolve` for the browser.
npmnpm WARNWARN deprecateddeprecated resolve-url@0.2.1: GitHub - lydell/resolve-url: [DEPRECATED] Like Node.js’ `path.resolve`/`url.resolve` for the browser.
urix@0.1.0: Please see GitHub - lydell/urix: [DEPRECATED] Makes Windows-style paths more unix and URI friendly.
C:\Users\Administrateur.000\AppData\Roaming\npm\ntl → C:\Users\Administrateur.000\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_mod
C:\Users\Administrateur.000\AppData\Roaming\npm\netlify → C:\Users\Administrateur.000\AppData\Roaming\npm\node
[ …] - extract:to-object-path: sill extract http-call@^5.2.2 extracted to C:\Users\Administrate

netlify-cli@2.53.0 postinstall C:\Users\Administrateur.000\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\netlify-cli
node ./scripts/postinstall.js

[ …] - extract:text-hex: sill extract @octrying crkvQgJ5U/d3lpf6vffSoVVUftVQ==
[ …] \ extract:strip-eof: sill extract class-utils@0.3.6
Success! Netlify CLI has been installed!

Your device is now configured to use Netlify CLI to deploy and manage your Netlify sites.

Next steps:

netlify init Connect or create a Netlify site from current directory
netlify deploy Deploy the latest changes to your Netlify site

For more information on the CLI run netlify help
Or visit the docs at https://cli.netlify.com

npm WARN saveError ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘C:\Users\Administrateur.000\Documents\JJazzLab\src\JJazzLabWebSite\package.json’
npm notice created a lockfile as package-lock.json. You should commit this file.
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘C:\Users\Administrateur.000\Documents\JJazzLab\src\JJazzLabWebSite\package.json’
npm WARN JJazzLabWebSite No description
npm WARN JJazzLabWebSite No repository field.
npm WARN JJazzLabWebSite No README data
npm WARN JJazzLabWebSite No license field.

• netlify-cli@2.53.0
    added 1121 packages from 560 contributors and audited 1121 packages in 327.324s

38 packages are looking for funding
run npm fund for details

found 0 vulnerabilities

$ netlify plugins:uninstall netlify-lm-plugin
Uninstalling netlify-lm-plugin… done

$ netlify plugins:install netlify-lm-plugin
Installing plugin netlify-lm-plugin… installed v1.0.0

$ netlify lm:setup
√ Provisioning Netlify Large Media
√ Configuring Git LFS for this site

Hi, @jjazzboss, the previous credential helper is still being used based on this:

Upgrading to 0.1.9 is the solution. How? I’m not sure but I’m committed to figuring it out. I haven’t used Windows much recently. I’m might fumble a bit here but hope we can find the Windows equivalent of what I’m doing in bash.

In my .bash_profile the following line appears:

. /Users/me/.netlify/helper/path.bash.inc

All this bash include does is add the directory where the git-credential-netlify binary lives to the PATH environment variable so that it can be found.

Why do I explain all this? Because I suspect the new credential helper is being installed but it isn’t being used.

To see the current directory, this would work on MacOS:

$ which git-credential-netlify
/Users/me/.netlify/helper/bin/git-credential-netlify

You mention cygwin so possibly the command which is also available to you. This will show the directory you are currently using though and I’m guessing the that is the 0.1.18 version.

You can check the version of the binary with the --version switch like so:

$ git-credential-netlify --version
git-credential-netlify/0.1.9 (Netlify; darwin amd64; go1.14.1; git 55f25e72)

If you do have cygwin and find is available, you might try searching for other installed copies of git-credential-netlify with something like this:

find . -type f -name git-credential-netlify

Once you find the other copy of git-credential-netlify, adding the directory in to your PATH environment variable (it looks like you are using bash above) would be the final step.

If there are questions about any of this please let us know and, if there are questions, the output of the find command above would be helpful in the case.

It works again, thanks Luke.

What I’ve done:

I found only one instance of git-credential-netlify, in Program Files/Git LFS. Note that on cygwin you need to use find . -name git-credential-netlify.exe. It was 0.1.8. This must have prevented the 0.1.9 to install correctly.

I removed this old .exe and uninstalled-reinstalled netlify-lm-plugin. I also removed the manual addition I did in the past in my .gitconfig [credential] helper=netlify, since it’s now added automatically via the [include] ~/.netlify/helper/git-config.

Finally netlify lm:info was correct, showing version 0.1.9.

Did it work then? no ! git push origin master was again stuck on “unauthorized access”…

My final attempt was to try from the Windows command prompt instead of cygwin, and this time it worked ! I Anyway I’m happy I’ll be able to release my new software this week-end. Thank you again for the help.

It might help to check the path of the new git-credential-netlify.exe file and make sure that directory is in the bash path when using cygwin.

Thank you also for sharing the successful workflow you found (the Windows command prompt). (Was that cmd.exe or Powershell, by the way?)

I’m glad you got it working and if you have other information or questions about this, please feel free to reply here again anytime. (New topics are also always welcome.)

I checked that git-credential-netlify.exe is indeed in the cygwin path, so I don’t understand why it fails on cygwin but not on cmd.exe. Anyway I stopped investigating this as I have a solution now.