[Support Guide] Minimal downtime for a live site DNS migration

under “edit dns records”, this registrar “iwantmyname” also has “1-click DNS setup” for popular web apps/services.
e.g. Tumblr, Squarespace.

We’ve made it as easy as one click to add popular web services to your domain. Leave the complicated DNS details to us! Just find the web app/service below and click to start the setup process—the proper DNS records will be automatically added to your domain.

The form does recognize Netlify.

You are about to add the DNS records for Netlify to the following domain:
(www.)example.com
or add on a subdomain
Your Netlify subdomain: [form field ].netlify.com

It is unclear to me what records it would add.
Should any be added from the registrar?

Adding domains at the domain registrar is one of two ways to connect a domain to a Netlify site. We call the method using your existing DNS provider “manual configuration”:

And the other solution is our Managed DNS service.

So, yes, you can add DNS records for any domains or subdomains you want to use for Netlify sites to your current DNS service settings (which is normally done via the registrar in most - but not all - cases).

Also note, that instructions adding DNS records for subdomain (such as: one.example.com) differ from the instructions for the “bare domain” (like: example.com). Please see the manual configuration link above for more details.

If there are other questions, please let us know.

1 Like

For more information on this topic, check out our blog post Migrating DNS for a production site? We made you a site migration checklist. :rocket: :shamrock:

1 Like

I followed your steps but I still have an issue, the site keeps redirecting to the DNS provider’s page. And when I checked the primary domain on the google dig tool. I got a message saying " Record not found!"
primary domain: http://coolspringtrading.com/

Hi, @Fola-rin. I show that domain working now.

I’m not sure what changed. It could have been time to live (TTL) issues or maybe you made some change to get it working.

If there are other questions or if you want to share the solution you found, please feel free to reply here anytime.