Rust support on Netlify

I would love Rust support. There are multiple static site generators like Cobalt and Zola. Why Rust is better than Node? Cause its fun. I like writing Rust and writing my website in it would be good practice.

Assuming your build process is to clone the entire repo to a jenkins machine and run the build command, the easiest way to achieve this would be to just install cargo on the jenkins VMs. Might need some file access protections and to revoke syscall privileges I dunno. You don’t need to cache common crates until people are building rust generators regularly.

Can I help in any way?

1 Like

Hey Robert! You can absolutely help us get Rust into our build image. PR’s gladly accepted, here: GitHub - netlify/build-image: This is the build image used for running automated builds . Oh, there already is one for rust (Add Rust support. by yacoob · Pull Request #320 · netlify/build-image · GitHub), so I’ll ping our dev team to see if we can get that prioritized.

Our build process is described here for your edification: How Our Build Bots Build Sites

1 Like

Hi @fool and @Robert_Snakard, i saw that PR https://github.com/netlify/build-image/pull/477 was merged and Netlify support Rust language now. May i found some example somewhere? Many thanks, and Merry Christhmas! :slightly_smiling_face: :santa: :evergreen_tree:

I don’t know that we have an example. What happens when you try to run rust during build?

Thank you @fool for the answer. I will try it, when i have a bit of time. I have found this in your org: GitHub - netlify/rust-functions-example: Deploy Rust lambda functions on Netlify. But i would be more interested in other projects as for example: GitHub - SergioBenitez/Rocket: A web framework for Rust. or GitHub - cobalt-org/cobalt.rs: Static site generator written in Rust. I will try them when i have time ( i hope to have…).

1 Like

To follow up on this, here’s a post where we note support for Rust in the build image and include a link to the Netlify docs.

1 Like