Role Based Access Control Error + Fix + Debugging Tips

I recently fought with a nasty error regarding Role Based Access Control and discovered what I believe to be a bug (or rather, undocumented requirements). Learned a lot and thought I’d share.

Setup

1. I’m using the netlify identity widget.
  2. My goal is to restrict access to a particular page /section/gated. Only users with the Role=plan:pro should be allowed. All others should be redirected to a custom /401 page with a 401 status code.

My _redirects file looked like this.

/section/gated  /section/gated  200!  Role=plan:pro
/section/gated  /401                 401!

The Problem

I login with a user, Ben1. I know this user has the role plan:pro because I manually gave it to him in the netlify identity dashboard. However, when I attempt to access /section/gated I get redirected to the 401 page.

Frustrating

Ideas:

1. Maybe the redirects didn’t get applied properly in the build. But this would be odd because

1. the fallback redirect worked
    2. the build logs showed me that two redirect rules were processed

Perhaps the build mangled the first redirect rule for some reason… I download the built site which you can do with this button, inspect the _redirects file and all looks good.

1. Maybe my rule was incorrectly formatted. Or perhaps there’s something funny about the cycle rule, directing from page A to page A (which could create an endless loop). The example in the docs here specifically states

Role-based redirects do not have a “to” property.

But, ntl debug actually throws an error if you leave out the to property. Furthermore, when I exclude Role=plan:pro, the redirect works fine as I have it.

1. Maybe it’s a cookie issue. I’ve been testing different sites and logging into different accounts. But,
    1. I’ve been careful to clear my cache and cookies before testing
    2. When I request the locked page, I monitor the network via Chrome > Developer Tools > Network. The first call I see is a GET request to /section/gated which includes a header like with the jwt.

I plug this into the jwt decoder at jwt.io, decode the jwt, and see that it’s got the correct user, correct user id, correct role, and it’s not expired.

Solution

I finally tried changing the role from ‘plan:pro’ to simply ‘pro’ and it worked. If anyone else is struggling with RBAC, make sure you use a “simple” string for the role.

Hey @ben519,

Thank you for sharing that. Hopefully that would help someone else in the future. We’d pass it on to docs team as well to consider documenting this.