Portfolio site with subtrees

Hi there

I have a portfolio site with a mirror (un-indexed, bots disallowed) of previous work done (had a couple clients change servers and work went offline).
I’ve exported everything as static (no build commands) but with 4 projects, the folder is at 700MB already (and yea I tried optimizing images first thing).
I’m thinking there might be a better way to deal with this (maybe even maintaining the original work/build commands) and stumbled upon submodules and subtrees.

So, am I right in assuming, pulling projects as subtrees would work fine for project.domain/project1…2…3 etc? Would netlify still pull and build those projects inside the portfolio site?

Thank you for your attention
cheers

I’m surprised to hear that you can’t successfully deploy the 700Mbyte. Is that failing? Submodules is likely to be a bit of a pain in the tuckus, requiring our help to manipulate deploy keys every time you create a new one. Not sure about subtrees, but I doubt that it would be any better.

If you can’t deploy, I’d start with a “what happens when you try, and please link to the build logs?” response, and assuming that there is some blocking factor that is really around size, I’d instead suggest a few pieces, stitched together like this:

…since you can self-serve on that and thus it can scale easily :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh no, it is deployed successfully, sorry if i seemed to say otherwise. it just irks me to have a big repo with all these separate portfolio examples in one place.
it really is just a thought on simplifying the portfolio repo and keep it as barebones as possible.

this looks promissing /blog/* https://yourblogsite.netlify.com/blog/* 200!! thank you!

Hi there! Just dropping by to mention that we have now shipped a UI update that allows you to generate a deploy key in the UI and no longer have to get in touch with support to do so in case you need one in the future :tada:

more here: