Please read! End of support for Xenial build image: Everything you need to know

Whereā€™s the Build image selection under Continuous Deployment? I canā€™t find it! :fearful:

I deploy manually using the drag & drop feature.

Hey @jonkantner

When you deploy manually, there is no build image selection as you are not using continuous deployment.

Okay, so I deployed a build again with the same method and didnā€™t see the deprecation notice in my deploy log. Thereā€™s no warning icon next to my site name, yet the email sent out a couple hours ago still insists my site is impacted. Is my site still safe despite what the email says?

I donā€™t believe you will see any impact to your site(s).

Team,

I have a site that I build on gatsbycloud and deploy on Netlify. The email says my sight will be impacted. I donā€™t think it will, but want to cofirm.

Thanks!

Hello folks :wave:

Thanks for all of your questions, Iā€™ll try to address them all in this response.

Yesterday we sent out a deprecation notice letting some of our customers know about the need to move your existing builds to focal before the deprecation deadline.

Although we narrowed down the list to those potentially affected by this change (i.e. folks using xenial) we may have inadvertently sent you the email even though you may not be affected by this change.

Am I affected?

If youā€™re using our build system to deploy any particular site through our git integration you may be affected. Please reference this bullet point on how to check if youā€™re using xenial.

If you have a lot of sites, it can be confusing. Please make sure that no site is using xenial by checking in your siteā€™s list for the yellow warning triangle indicator:

That means this site is affected by this change!

What do I need to do?

All instructions are available on our deprecation guideline forums post. Feel free to check that guide.

What sites are not affected

• Sites not using the git-based builds (which include sites deployed manually)
  • Sites deployed through the API directly

We apologise for this inconvenience and are already working on improving the logic behind these emails!

Sites not using the git-based builds (ie: not linked to a git repository) wonā€™t be shown the build image selection card in the UI:

If you have any questions or concerns let us know!

3 Likes

@cassidoo1 thereā€™s no built-in bulk update option, but you can use this npm package created by our very own @jlengstorf ntl-focal-migrate - npm
It relies on the Netlify CLI to update sites via API calls.

2 Likes

Thanks. I must have received an email that was sent by mistake.

This saved me from a world of hurt. Awesome, thanks @jlengstorf @kito !!

2 Likes

Hi kito,
I know Iā€™m a bit late for this post, but I couldnā€™t find theLock publishing to this deploy button at the top of the deployā€™s log page. Thereā€™s only Lock to stop auto publishing button. Any suggestions?

This is the correct button @linchen5913.

1 Like

As @coelmay said, thatā€™s the right button. Thanks for flagging it, Iā€™ve updated the original post with the correct button copy.

1 Like

Support for Xenial has now ended, and all builds using this image will now fail going forward. Please follow the instructions in the original post to update your build image, and as usual let us know if you have any questions!

Hello, I am new to Netlify and working on a project created by someone else which uses Xenial build image.
I started today and figured out it has been deprecated. Thereā€™s another option for ā€˜Focal 20.4 (default)ā€™, if I switch to that, will it affect the current site? Please give me suggestions to deploy changes in the existing website. Thank you.

Hi @kdesai24

Welcome to the community! :partying_face:

If you want to test the effects of switching to the new build image on your current site, you could try creating a new site with the same code as your production site and uses the Focal build image. Then you can do some testing to make sure it deploys before you switch the production site.

1 Like

Hi @kito , is it possible to change build image in all projects at once (without having to change it one by one)?

Thanks!

Hi @kevinadhiguna, you can use this npm package to update all your sites: ntl-focal-migrate - npm

1 Like

Iā€™m the co-maintainer for a public open source project where the owner is missing. Can I configure the build image from the netlify.toml? I donā€™t have access to the Site Settings for the project, but I have complete control of netlify.toml.

Heya @mr-c !

Unfortunately, this is not configurable in code - we do need the netlify site owner to make the change in our UI or via our API.

When you say they are ā€œmissingā€ - what do you mean exactly? Weā€™ll certainly have their netlify login email and can contact them on your behalf, to ask for their help (or ask if they are willing to delegate ownership of the netlify site to you), if youā€™d like to share what site you are working on?

I understand.

The site is https://app.netlify.com/sites/simde , served from https://github.com/simd-everywhere/simde (Iā€™m https://github.com/mr-c on GitHub). Iā€™m co-owner in every other way, so the extra access permissions would be welcome. Otherwise I guess Iā€™ll have to make a new site and update the links in as many places as I can find ā€¦

Thanks!