No package 'libusb-1.0' found

Hello,

is it possible to pre-install os packages in the machine (assuming ubuntu) like libusb-dev ?

I am getting the following:

10:23:02 AM: Package libusb-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
10:23:02 AM: Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libusb-1.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libusb-1.0' found
gyp: Call to 'pkg-config libusb-1.0 --cflags-only-I | sed s/-I//g' returned exit status 0 while in binding.gyp. while trying to load binding.gyp
gyp ERR! configure error 
gyp ERR! stack Error: `gyp` failed with exit code: 1

In the docs Manage build dependencies | Netlify Docs?

I don’t see the possibility to install OS packages. :frowning_face:

Thank you in advance!

I’m wondering why you need a library for accessing USB devices when building a website @danielmain

Hi @coelmay who said I am building a website ?

I am building an electron desktop app.

Netlify is design to build and distribute website to a global CDN @danielmain, not desktop apps.

But I see here: Netlify combines a full platform for your apps with a fast workflow for your team.

I also saw in your blog the possibility to go serverless Can Dynamic Sites Go Serverless? mentioning Electron.

The difference nowadays between Apps and Websites disappearing.

In case you don’t support adding OS packages (like defining it in a docker file), just simply answer me “It’s not supported” and we save time to each other.

Agree.

As I am not a Netlify employee, do not know about Electron, and do not know exactly what you are attempting to build, I cannot give you a definitive answer.

Thank you @coelmay :slight_smile: I thought you were from the Netlify Team

Electron is a Chrome-Browser masking a website that makes it looks like an App. Examples:
Microsoft Teams, Visual Studio Code, Atom Editor, etc

I hope I get an official answer.

Hi @danielmain

Ubuntu Focal (Netlify’s current default build-image) already seems to ship with the libusb package: https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/allpackages

If it’s still not working, then I’m sorry, there’s no other way.

Seconding @coelmay’s question, even if you build an application using Electron, I really doubt you can use Netlify to distribute it. Correct me if I’m wrong, but all those apps that you mentioned that you say made in Electron, are distributed as installers for various Operating Systems and none of them actually run inside blowers even if they’re all Chromium based. I really doubt that Netlify is the correct platform for you.

I believe you’re talking about these lines:

It mentions, you could expand your app to other platforms than webpage. It has no intentions to say that the other platforms are distributed through Netlify as well.

Yes, but websites still need browsers to run and OS-based native apps don’t run inside browsers (yet).

Also, not everyone expects a “thank you for your time”, but no one here wants to read such strong comments. The forums would appreciate you if you could tone it down a little. I understand you might be having a lot more tasks to attend to, but someone took out the time to reply to you and it was probably their best attempt, so you could simply avoid typing that line from next time.

1 Like

Hi @hrishikesh thank you for the extended explanation! Sorry if I sound to you too strong. It was not my intentions to give you that impression. Sorry, could be a cultural difference I am too direct :slightly_smiling_face: