Netlify Form Submit Button onClick event redirect to Stripe Checkout (Gatsby)

Overview

Problem

I need to get the form on this page to both submit to Netlify and open Stripe checkout page. Stripe checkout page is working good. Netlify form submissions without Stripe work as well. Mixing the two is where I am running into problems. The form is listed in the Forms section of Netlify but there are no submissions. Here is my code

import React, { useState } from "react";
import { loadStripe } from "@stripe/stripe-js";

function encode(data) {
    return Object.keys(data)
      .map((key) => encodeURIComponent(key) + '=' + encodeURIComponent(data[key]))
      .join('&')
  }

let stripePromise
const getStripe = () => {
  if (!stripePromise) {
    stripePromise = loadStripe("pk_test_RlvibjeKdvwY81acv2YLwvTM00I3UsWXIi")
  }
  return stripePromise
}

const Checkout = () => {
  const [loading, setLoading] = useState(false)

const redirectToCheckout = async event => {
    event.preventDefault()
    setLoading(true)

const stripe = await getStripe()
const { error } = await stripe.redirectToCheckout({
  mode: "subscription",
  lineItems: [{ price: "price_1Gva5YAeKYVunD5viRkFzoR7", quantity: 1 }],
  successUrl: `http://localhost:8000/thanks/`,
  cancelUrl: `http://localhost:8000/404`,
})

if (error) {
  console.warn("Error:", error)
  setLoading(false)
}
  }

return (    
<form
    name="transfer"
    method="POST"
    action="/thanks"
    data-netlify-honeypot="bot-field"
    data-netlify="true"
    id="transfer"
    className="transfer"

<p className="screen-reader-text">
        <label>Don't fill this out if you're human: <input name="bot-field" /></label>
    </p>
    <p className="form-row">
        <label htmlFor="transfer-name" className="form-label">Name</label>
        <input type="text" name="name" id="transfer-name" className="form-input" />
    </p>
    <p className="form-row">
        <label htmlFor="transfer-email" className="form-label">Email address</label>
        <input type="email" name="email" id="transfer-email" className="form-input" />
    </p>
    <input type="hidden" name="form-name" value="transfer" />
    <p className="form-row form-submit">
        <button type="submit" className="button" 
        disabled={loading}
      onClick={redirectToCheckout}>
          Pay
          </button>
    </p>
</form>
  )
}

export default Checkout

You can find it here on Github also.

Continued

I’m not a great coder, and have the sneaking suspicion my error lays in the insertion of a javascript element into the Neltify form:

<button type=“submit” className=“button”
disabled={loading}
onClick={redirectToCheckout}>
Pay

Specific Questions

1. — Is the onClick event the proper way to handle redirect to Stripe checkout in a Netlify form?
  2. ------- Can I make it an ‘action’ as in <form...action="/thanks"?
  3. ---------------- Or am I overall better trying to make a custom Stripe.js element to accept payment on the page (be aware I am a n00b)

I won’t be able to help with your javascript - despite being a professional javascript debugger, I am not very good at creating it :slight_smile: However, I can tell you that the reason you’d see no submissions is because you aren’t POSTing compatible data. I can’t tell why that would “change” when you include stripe, but hopefully you can :slight_smile:

This article walks through what the data MUST look like (and what you should see in your dev tools :)) for us to get a form submission, record and display its contents to you:

Let me know if that doesn’t help clear things up! I can’t promise to get deeper in your code, but I can promise to help show you where things you are sending doesn’t match what we are expecting, once you’ve run through that guide :slight_smile: