My jekyll build fails; suggests upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command. How? Where?

And how to tell netify to use Python 3.6.5?

I tried several ways in the requirements.txt file; none worked.

python == 3.6.5
pip == 19.3.1

10:24:59 AM: DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 will reach the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 won’t be maintained after that date. A future version of pip will drop support for Python 2.7.

10:25:00 AM: Collecting 3.6.5 (from -r requirements.txt (line 3))

10:25:00 AM: ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement 3.6.5 (from -r requirements.txt (line 3)) (from versions: none)

10:25:00 AM: ERROR: No matching distribution found for 3.6.5 (from -r requirements.txt (line 3))

10:25:00 AM: WARNING: You are using pip version 19.1.1, however version 19.3.1 is available.

10:25:00 AM: You should consider upgrading via the ‘pip install --upgrade pip’ command.

10:25:00 AM: Error installing pip dependencies

Hi, did you give this thread a read through already?

Good idea to make sure that the requirements.txt is in the root first as a sanity check.

I read that, thought the conclusion was that that was a mistake, that requirements.txt should be in the base directory, not the root directory of the repo. Unless I’m misunderstanding.

My requirements.txt file is being read; it’s in my _site directory at GitHub; that’s where netify is seeing the 3.6.5 (now 3.7) and not liking it.

And thank you for your amazingly quick response.

To clarify: my GitHub repo has two branches, master and gh-pages. To serve the html I generate locally, it is pushed from my machine to the gh-pages branch. It starts in the _site directory on my local machine, then is served by Github from the gh-pages branch.

The requirements.txt file is at the root of that branch. I tell netify to build from the gh-pages branch. Then Netify gives me the Python 2.7 error, and the suggestion to upgrade pip. How do I tell netify to upgrade pip in the Docker environment it creates? My pip is upgraded on my local machine; do I need to change something at GitHub?

Hi @johngage, by default our buildbot will use python 2.7. To tell it to use a different version of python, you’ll need to create a runtime.txt file in the root of your repository. This is described in the ‘configure builds’ section of our docs. Let me know if that helps.