Manage Netlify's SSL Certificate Domains

I continue to run into the issue when I am hosting with Netlify that the SSL Certificate doesn’t include the wild card and I have to reach out to support every time. Is there a way that I can manage the domains for the SSL certificate on Netlify?

Currently it’s Domains: mydomain.com
Need it to be Domains: *.mydomain.com, mydomain.com

Sure thing, two options:

1. import your own custom wildcard certificate. These can be had for relatively cheap from vendors such as alphassl. There are almost always “deals” out there on the internet to get them for under 50 bucks, if you literally google “cheap wildcard ssl”. I haven’t found those companies (usually comodo or alphassl) to offer the same cheap pricing without going in via google, but YMMV.
  2. let us manage your DNS. That’s the only way we can get wildcard certificates; we are not permitted to otherwise by our SSL provider.

Hi,

How do we add wildcard domains on the Certificate if we are on Netlify DNS?

Thanks,
JC

Wildcard subdomains aren’t enabled by default and can only be enabled from our end. There are also a few requirements before we’re able to do so:

• Either you have to use Netlify DNS so we can get you a wildcard SSL cert, or you must bring a custom wildcard certificate.
  • We can only do this for a site that’s on a paid team (see Pricing and Plans | Netlify for details)

Also note:

You can’t use domain aliases on the site with Wildcard subdomains enabled, just the bare domain and subdomains under your primary domain. If you try to add a domain alias then it won’t work.
The primary custom domain for the site, if it is a example.com with www.example.com setting in our UI, must be www.example.com and not example.com!

Once the wildcard subdomain feature is enabled, you do not need to add new subdomains under the site settings. You’ll will need still need to create DNS records.

This might be a single wildcard DNS record for all subdomains (like a CNAME for *.example.com pointing to the netlify.app subdomain for the site). Alternatively, you can also create the individual DNS records to add each subdomain (like CNAMEs for subdomain-a.example.com, subdomain-b.example.com, etc.) as covered in our external DNS documentation. Both work so please do whichever you prefer.

Let us know which site and we’ll verify that it meets the requirements and get that set up for you.