Jekyll image generation causing build to timeout

Hi everyone — I am trying to deploy a site from git that contains quite a few images, I’m using jekyll-picture-tag to generate responsive jpg and webp files. The build runs fine locally but due to the amount of images we have on the site it makes netlify build timeout.

Is there anything we can do to reduce the build time or extend the build time for this? On my local build the plugin is clever about caching generated images, but it seems that Netlify starts from the beginning on each attempt.

Any help is appreciated — the site url is: https://stoic-davinci-bad7a2.netlify.com/

10:39:52 PM: Generating new image file: assets/uploads/74_Corridor8_WhoseBloodySunset_4-200-bbefec.jpg
10:39:53 PM: Generating new image file: assets/uploads/74_Corridor8_WhoseBloodySunset_4-400-bbefec.jpg
10:39:53 PM: Generating new image file: assets/uploads/74_Corridor8_WhoseBloodySunset_4-800-bbefec.jpg
10:39:54 PM: Generating new image file: assets/uploads/74_Corridor8_WhoseBloodySunset_4-1600-bbefec.jpg
10:39:56 PM: Generating new image file: assets/uploads/74_Corridor8_WhoseBloodySunset_4-800-bbefec.jpg
10:39:56 PM:   Liquid Exception: No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - /opt/build/repo/assets/uploads/74_Corridor8_WhoseBloodySunset_4.jpg in /_layouts/project.html
10:39:56 PM:                     ------------------------------------------------
10:39:56 PM:       Jekyll 4.0.0   Please append `--trace` to the `build` command 
10:39:56 PM:                      for any additional information or backtrace. 
10:39:56 PM:                     ------------------------------------------------
10:39:56 PM: Execution timed out after 15m0s
10:39:56 PM: Error running command: Command did not finish within the time limit
10:39:56 PM: Failing build: Failed to build site
10:39:57 PM: failed during stage 'building site': Command did not finish within the time limit

Hi @dust-io,

If you take a look here: Netlify Pricing and Plans (scroll down to high performance builds) you will see that we do offer the possibility to have longer (unlimited) build times, but it does come with a price tag - if this is something you are interested in, please let us know and we’ll connect you with our sales team.

If that’s not within reach for you, you’ll want to go about incorporating images in a different way - even if we were able to extend the build timeout for you (which we can’t) - you would be burning through build minutes fairly quickly, I am going to guess.

I would suggest you look into our Large Media addon - that might be a way forward. You can learn more about that here:

and here: #netlify-large-media-nlm

Hi @perry thank-you for outlining the solutions — we definitely can’t afford the high-performance option, but the conversion to webp is absolutely necessary for the site, we may have to just host this somewhere else. Thank-you for your help with this and the other issue though!

2 Likes