Issue with nextjs webp/avif image formats

Having issue with nextjs webp/avif image formats when deployed to netlify. It seem to be working fine locally and also on Vercel. Do I need to add any additional configuration in netlify?

hi there, when you say “having issue” can you explain a bit more? what kind of issues? do you have a screenshot or some logging info? that will help us troubleshoot.

NextJs provides an option to format images to webp format using the following setting in next config file.

Looks like this is not working when deployed to netlify. I have attached screenshot of image load with Netlify and local run. You can see that it gets converted to webp format when I run locally but it’s still jpeg on netlify.

Local Run:

Netlify Run:

Did you check this:

Is there any update to this issue since the last reply by chance? I’m having this exact issue and I have Edge Functions, and my images are small, yet I can’t get netlify to convert them when the site is deployed. Anything else I’m missing?

Hi @jontewks

Thanks for reaching out. Have you enabled the edge function IPX handling as seen here:

To turn on Edge image handling for Next/Image, set the environment variable NEXT_FORCE_EDGE_IMAGES to true

Thanks very much Gualter, that is the one I needed. I missed the mention of that in the docs and thought it would work out of the box since I had edge functions available. I appreciate the help!

1 Like