Is it possible to access the environment variable DEPLOY_URL inside of Gatsby?

I’m trying to set up an image component using Imgix which works great for URLs sourced from other locations, like Shopify for example.

However with Gatsby, I have a bunch of images that are static and local to the project, so the only URL I’ve been able to output is a relative one.

My goal is to detect when the build/deploy has happened through Netlify in production, and append the relative URLs I have access to in this way:

`${DEPLOY_URL}/${image}`

Which would result in an image URL that Imgix can pick up, like this.

https://5b243e66dd6a547b4fee73ae--petsof.netlify.app/nameOfImage.jpg

Ideally I’d like this to happen only in production and specific to the hashed deploy URL.

But I’m pretty stuck on how to pass Netlify read-only variables into Gatsby.

hi there proton,

I’m going to get the :eyes: of a gatsby pro on this - we will have a chance to talk to them next week, i believe - and we can circle back with you here when we know more. thanks for your patience.

Awesome @perry , thanks and really looking forward to what you find!

hi @proton , i spoke to our most knowledgeable dev and we brainstormed the following - you could try doing something like this:

setting

GATSBY_DEPLOY_URL=${DEPLOY_URL} gatsby build as your build command MIGHT do what you are hoping to - injected the deploy url into that environment variable so you can re-use it as you wish.

this is untested code, so, i have no guarantees it will work, but it is something to try! If this doesn’t work, we might be out of ideas, but do let us know.

Thanks, I gave it a shot but it comes through as undefined unfortunately. Will continue searching for the answer here

sorry we couldn’t be of more help! if you figure out a way to do this, please do let us know.