How to start a Wordpress website on Netlify

Hi all,
I want to create a Wordpress site, that I can use wordpress plugins on.

I saw on the netlify website that this is possible, but I don’t know how to do it.

Can anyone advise?
Thank you.

You can’t. Hosting Wordpress on Netlify is not possible.

Can you please point out where?

Thanks for your reply, here it is: Netlify and WordPress: better performance, less cost, and a better developer experience

If you read the page you’ll know it talks about either converting your WordPress website to a Jamstack one or use WordPress as a CMS. In the CMS option, WordPress is hosted elsewhere and it is only used as a source for posts while the actual website is generated by Jamstack tools.

@PatN123 Does this information help at all?

[quote="[Support Guide] Can I run a web server, HTTP listener, and/or database at Netlify?, post:1, topic:3078"]
ow do I run a server/database at Netlify? We often get questions about how to run a specific backend server or database at Netlify. Examples of these types of questions include: How to I get my node HTTP listener to respond to requests? How do I start Mongo/MySQL/ running on the server? How can I SSH into my website? We are here today to answer these questions - and the answer is: you can’t! hushed What do you mean
[/quote]

Thank you for your help.I think I will just create a Wordpress site, then use Simply Static plugin to export it to a folder, then upload that to netlify.

Thank you again!

1 Like

@hrishikesh I do want to note that it’s important to illustrate the nuance of WordPress’ relationship to JAMstack. While yes, technically speaking, you’re correct in stating that you cannot host WordPress on Netlify, there are lots of folks that enjoy using WordPress’ back-end CMS and fleets of engineers working to allow WordPress to act as a headless CMS for JAMstack builds. I know it’s not as simple as “wordpress doesn’t work on Netlify”, but walking folks through this nuanced relationship is important so they can understand the pros and cons / perceive the concepts behind the massive performance and build gains that come from the pairing.

That’s what Netlify and WordPress: better performance, less cost, and a better developer experience was made to show off :slight_smile:

Jon

1 Like

Thanks @jonsully, I’ll keep that in mind.

This blog post might also be helpful, @PatN123:

Thank you. I will definitely keep that in mind