Form getting lots of Spam but no legitimate messages getting through

Site-name: cocky-hypatia-e89ba3
Git repo: GitHub - gallor/allorstudio: Static Gatsby site for wife's coaching and teaching business
Site URL: www.jenniferallor.com

Hi. I am quite flummoxed as to why the netlify form is not submitting legitimate messages. I’ve added the recommended honey-pot field, which I’m assuming is why the form is able to capture all the spam messages coming in, but no message that I create appears to work. The action path for success appears to trigger fine upon submission but no message shows up in the netlify admin (nor is it forwarded). I’ve added the data-netlify=“true” prop to the tag, method as “POST”… not sure what else to add. Feel free to check out the repo for the form page’s code at allorstudio/contact.jsx at master · gallor/allorstudio · GitHub.

In case it’s related to how my custom domain is configured, I set all my name servers to use netlifys (would post them but apparently I can’t based on the limit of links in a post).

I have a feeling I’m just missing some sort of configuration somewhere. Thanks for any help!

Grant

Hi @gallor,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to Netlify Support Forums!

In general, we have a Support Guide on debugging 404 errors here:

Please go through the guide as it covers over 99% of form-related issues with our system.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Hi Melvin,
Thanks for the response. I had not found that article so thank you for providing it.

Unfortunately, I’ve gone through all the bullet points and am still am not getting any forms submissions.
Here’s what I tried:

• Initially thought it was not working due to using a styled component in my react component. So I made the element on its own with no special transformations on the page.
  • Was missing the enctype property, so added that.
  • Oddly, the docs say the data-netlify property should be stripped out of the HTML upon build, but the HTML I see in the browser still has that parameter…
  • I verified all inputs have their own name fields and are all unique

Not sure what else to try. I can see my form is detected by Netlify as the admin says it detects extra spam protection due to the honeypot field, but my submissions are not getting caught by spam either… Any other thoughts to try and thanks so much for the help!

Hi @gallor,

Thanks for the follow-up. I’m seeing a 404 on form submissions in the dev tools. You’ll need to add a hidden input with name="form-name" to the returned form elements. This is mentioned here:

This tutorial also has some examples that may help of setting up Netlify forms with Gatsby:

Let us know if you have any questions.

Hi Melvin, thanks again for the response. Don’t know how I missed that section! That really helped and I got everything working. Really appreciate the help.

Grant

Hi @gallor,

You’re welcome. Thanks for the update and letting us know you were able to resolve the issue with forms. I hope you have a great day!