Deploy Notifications Cancel vs Failure

How can I differentiate between cancelled and failed builds when setting up build notifications?

I would like to set up a slack integration to inform myself whenever a build fails, but not when it is cancelled. When it is cancelled it is typically done on purpose or through the ignore script in the netlify.toml that I have configured. When it fails due to an error, then I would like to receive a notification.

2 Likes

Hey there,
Unfortunately, there’s not currently a way to distinguish. We do have an open issue internally for this, and I’ve added this thread to the conversation there so we can be sure to follow up with you if we ship changes to our notifications.

This is indeed a bummer. Netlify is pretty spammy, so we’ll end up disabling notification for failures (at the cost of missing out legit failure), since 99% of our builds don’t touch website files and end up being cancelled.

Is there a way to prioritize support for this feature?

Hey there, @pedroerp :wave:

Thanks for following up here and my apologies for the delayed response! I have sent your feedback directly to our product team. If there is any movement, I will follow up with you here.

Agreed, we have just moved to a monorepo, so cancelled builds on different applications have become a common occurrence. It would be great if we could get Slack messages just for failed builds rather than cancelled ones. It seems the GitHub integration is already able to make this distinction.

Same here, having error notifications for all deploys in a monorepo that are not touched is not really usefull…

Can you share some useful information or screenshots?

Not sure what more information I can give?

I have a custom cancellation script so that only the apps that have actual changes (either in the app or in one of the dependencies) are built and deployed.
If this script tells the build to cancel, because no relevant changes were found, I get a notification in my Discord that the deploy did not complete:

Even though I only subscribed to the status switching between success and failure.

Well for one your site name? Just so we can look at this on the backend. You have eight sites on your account. Is this happening on all your sites? Just one?

It happens on 4 of my sites, as they are all being deployed from the same monorepo:
auth.syncora.be
admin.syncora.be
events.syncora.be
gateway.syncora.be

And it will happen on every site I add from this mono repo (a new one will be added today).

I’m only deploying staging right now as we are in the initial development phase, so you will have to check staging builds.

Hi @Plutus,

Unfortunately, there’s no movement on this issue yet.