We have a site configured to deploy from
master, and to generate preview deploys for all pull requests.
Starting at 9:12PM EDT yesterday (2021-06-04) all builds using the cache started reporting
Failed during stage 'preparing repo': exit status 1.
10:24:49 AM: Build ready to start 10:24:51 AM: build-image version: 0582042f4fc261adc7bd8333f34884959c577302 10:24:51 AM: build-image tag: v3.7.6 10:24:51 AM: buildbot version: 874d2252adccd75aaadc8bf7a520d26b3fedbb13 10:24:52 AM: Fetching cached dependencies 10:24:52 AM: Starting to download cache of 5.2GB 10:25:38 AM: Finished downloading cache in 46.346134866s 10:25:38 AM: Starting to extract cache 10:26:50 AM: Finished extracting cache in 1m11.668882572s 10:26:50 AM: Finished fetching cache in 1m58.459408585s 10:26:50 AM: Starting to prepare the repo for build 10:26:51 AM: Preparing Git Reference refs/heads/master 10:27:00 AM: Error fetching branch: https://github.com/datawire/getambassador.io refs/heads/master 10:27:00 AM: Creating deploy upload records 10:27:00 AM: Failing build: Failed to prepare repo 10:27:00 AM: Failed during stage 'preparing repo': exit status 1 10:27:00 AM: Finished processing build request in 2m8.777096846s
This test showed that clearing the cache does not fix the issue for subsequent builds.
The first building failing in this manner was Netlify App , a PR build. All subsequent builds that used the cache have failed in the same way, including builds on
master (even though the PR had not been merged) and builds of other unrelated PRs.
(I apologize to community members that the links are not public; but I doubt there’s anything interesting there to anyone who does not have access to backend logs, as I said, the log above is representative.)
A representative example is this manually-triggered cache-using build of
master that I ran after running a manually triggerd cache-clearing build: Netlify App
This is particularly frustrating because the logs are opaque here; they tell us it’s fetching the git ref, but then don’t show us the Git output or what git commands are running, so we have to guess at what lead to “exit status 1”, which as we see below can be any of a number of issues.
I have searched the docs and support forums, and have found several things that I checked but have failed to help:
I found “[Support Guide] My site deploy fails unless Netlify’s build cache is cleared” [Support Guide] My site deploy fails unless Netlify's build cache is cleared none of the tips there are applicable for 3 reasons: (1) empirically: This is observed to have started on multiple different branches each with different sets of changes, so it can’t be a result of any changes made to files in our git repo; (2) rationally: it can’t be caused by files in the git repo if the problem is that it fails to fetch the git repo; (3) we haven’t done any of the things mentioned there (besides having both
yarn.lock–surely this was a mistake and the author meant to write
package-lock.json and not
As a possible exception to (2): We do use git submodules. I suppose it is possible that the issue is that it’s having trouble fetching a repository referred to in
.gitmodules. This is frustratingly difficult to verify, as the log does not include git’s output or what it’s doing in any detail, but instead just tells us “exit status 1”. As a test, I have created a PR that removes the submodules; if the issue is fetching a submodule then I expect this to still fail, but to fail at the later build step, rather than at the early ‘preparing repo’ step. This does not seem to be the case; even after I have removed the submodules it still fails at the ‘preparing repo’ step.
I found a customer problem Deploy fails with “failed during stage ‘preparing repo’: exit status 1” - #6 by tedgoas which looks similar and involves a Netlify bug, but offers no follow-up as to whether that bug ever got fixed (last update: May 14, 2020).
I found another customer problem Failing build: Failed to prepare repo, failed during stage 'preparing repo': exit status 1 - #2 by perry which looks similar, but magically went away after some time; giving me no path to resolving it in our case.
I found another customer problem Deploy fails with "failed during stage 'preparing repo': exit status 1" - #3 by tedgoas which looks similar. I attempted the suggested step of logging in to GitHub and removing Netlify’s authorization and then re-adding the authorization. This did not resolve the issue.
The web-UI build settings are as follows: