The default Node.js version for new sites and functions will be updated from version 16 to 18 today.
After this update, all new sites will use Node.js version 18 by default. In addition, the Node.js functions runtime will use Node.js 18 as well.
As Node.js 18 is the current active LTS (Long Term Supported) version, updating to use Node.js 18 by default allows customers to take advantage of the latest features and benefit from the performance and security improvements that this version delivers.
- Customers no longer need to manually set the Node.js version to 18 using an environment variable or configuration file.
- For all Node.js functions deployed after this change, Netlify will use Node.js 18 as the default runtime.
- Re-linking a site will make the site to use node 18.
For more information see the following docs:
- Setting the runtime for Netlify Functions
- Setting the Node version for site builds
- New features in Node 18
If you have any questions, please let us know in this thread.