After I added DNS records to receive email, my domain status changed to Awaiting External DNS

Hello,

I recently added DNS records to receive emails on my custom domain (englishtree.edu.vn) and after adding the records provided by the email service provider, my domain status on Netlify suddenly changed from verified to Awaiting External DNS.

I think I made a couple of mistakes when adding the email DNS records. Among the records given by the email service provider, which is also the domain provider, there were a couple of A records pointing to an IP address and an NS record pointing to the provider name servers. I added them and then immediately removed them since I didn’t think it made sense to add them given everything is managed now by Netlify. I don’t remember if I accidentally deleted any Netlify DNS records too, but my theory for what went wrong is it would take a while for the wrong records to expire and until then, my site will be down.

What can I do now to fix this? Should I just wait, or maybe delete the domain on Netlify and re-add it, since my site is down now anyway so it can’t get worse?

Thank you,
Minh

This is probably the quickest option.

Netlify support can reinstate the NETLIFY records you deleted, but there is no guarantee when that could happen.

You only need add the MX records for the domain next time :slight_smile:

@dig Thanks! I re-added and after some time my website is up now! About the email records, I got it work too. Really appreciate your help :slight_smile:

1 Like