Serious issues with netlify-cms api rate limiting

Hi I’m having an urgent issue with our netlify-cms access.
When a user logs into the cms of our site (https://apstudio.netlify.app/), they are getting one of two errors.

1. They see Git-gateway error [object object]and they aren’t able to log in

2. OR they are able to log in but upon a few minutes in the cms, there is a rate limit error
    Pausing requests for 3600 second due to fetch failures: API rate limit exceeded for user ID XXXX

Here are my config.yml settings:

backend:
  name: git-gateway
  branch: main # Branch to update (optional; defaults to master)
  repo: AaratiAkkapeddi/ap-studio

Let me know if I can work around this issue in any way.

Best,
Aarati

Hi there! Thanks for your interest in Netlify CMS. Looks like you posted your question a little while ago, but that you haven’t received a solution yet. Here’s where you might get more help:

netlifycms.org - the site houses our extensive documentation that likely contains helpful information to get you back on track.

netlify cms slack - join our friendly slack channel and chat with other cms pros to get the help you need.

GitHub Issues - think you’ve found a bug, or would like to make a feature request? Make your voice heard here. Netlify CMS is open source - PRs and other contributions are also welcome!

Stack Overflow Check StackOverflow for questions tagged “Netlify CMS” if you don’t get an answer in the Slack or the GH issues. StackOverflow reaches a worldwide audience of knowledgeable people.

Your question will be left open here for anyone to comment - but we encourage you to check out the above resources if you are still looking for a solution!

We are having the same issue and I am wondering if you have found anything out about it.

This could happen for many reasons:

1. we use your github token - whatever user is authenticated when you create the token in our UI on the identity settings page for git gateway - to own the connection between us and git. If your token exceeds its rate limits across all usage, this will happen here.

2. the error can occur for many reasons; not just github rate limiting. For instance, identity auth tokens expire after 1 hour and you won’t be able to save if you lose your auth to Netlify.

3. it’s always worth attempting a new deploy after configuring or changing JWT/git gateway settings, since some types of chanegs get activated with the next deploy.

Hopefully one of those helps out!

So when giving one of our Editors access to Netlify Identity, do they also need to create a token in the identity settings page for git gateway? I thought they needed to be full “Team Members” in order to set a token.

To use Netlify CMS, you don’t need anyone to be a team member. Just inviting them to Identity is sufficient.