My form doesn't always send files!

can you explain this in a different way, @Frantar? what do you mean exactly by different criteria for tags?

Sorry… what I meant is if the <meta> tags in the header needed to have as well some specific information for a page that container a <form>

Unfortunately, nothing of the suggested fixes is solving my problem. I honestly don’t know what I’m doing wrong :confused:

Hi @iFrantar

I have tinkered with the Submit file uploads with AJAX code on and off for a while because I could never get it to work. And it annoyed me that i couldn’t (sometimes I just can’t let things go!)

After having a serious argument with NuxtJS, then Vue.js, then with NuxtJS again (and winning them all), I decided to pick a fight with Vanilla JS again.

In the end I made one modification to the code from the documentation. I removed the headers.

This is the code from the documentation

document.forms.fileForm.addEventListener("submit", (event) => {
  event.preventDefault();
  const result = document.querySelector(".result");
  fetch("/", {
    body: new FormData(event.target),
    headers: { "Content-Type": "multipart/form-data" },
    method: "POST",
  })
    .then(() => {
      result.innerHTML = "Success";
    })
    .catch((error) => {
      result.innerHTML = `Failed: ${error}`;
    });
});

And this is the code I used, which successfully submits a file each time

document.forms.fileForm.addEventListener("submit", (event) => {
  event.preventDefault();
  const result = document.querySelector(".result");
  fetch("/", {
    // headers: { "Content-Type": "multipart/form-data" },
    method: "POST",
  })
  .then(() => {
    result.innerHTML = "Success";
  })
  .catch((error) => {
    result.innerHTML = `Failed: ${error}`;
  });
});

The only difference is I removed (or rather simply commented out) the headers from the fetch call.

The issue (from what I have found) comes down to have a content-type header like

'content-type': 'multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundarypE4YBjyZJI201WAY',

when headers are missing to having a content-type header like

'content-type': 'multipart/form-data',

when headers a added. This difference means the multipart data is not decoded because the boundary is missing.

Seems I won the fight with Vanilla JS too! :rofl:

Interesting note, I see this on MDN Using FormData Objects which would explain this behaviour

Hi Coelmay… I have tried commenting out the headers but still not working for me. Neither my modified code nor Netlify’s code.

Anyway, I’m lost as of what could be wrong. Might try a third party platform for forms.

The main difference I see is your code has

let formData = new FormData(formElem)
body: new URLSearchParams(formData).toString()

while the Netlify code (which I have used) has

Yep, it’s strange. Might give it another pass see if I get it to work. Thanks again for your feedback and suggestions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please give it another pass and let us know what happens! If it doesn’t work, let us know what you tried! If you’re still encountering obstacles after another pass I can loop in our Support Engineers again.