Verification Issues With Netlify and edu Website

• we need to know your netlify site name.
    https://festive-euler-7b8047.netlify.app/

• DNS issues? Tell us the custom domain, tell us the error message! We can’t help if we don’t know your domain.
    Domain: begin.berkeley.edu
    Issue: Unable to add domain to the website. Error: custom_domain is owned by another account. Unsure of what to do!

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

@amks begin.berkeley.edu is almost certainly not your domain. That looks to be a subdomain of berkeley.edu. If you do not own / control berkeley.edu, you are going to be restricted in what you can do in terms of DNS entries.

Hey Perry,

I’ve added this record for that:

verified-for-netlify.begin.berkeley.edu IN TXT Verification Issues With Netlify and edu Website

Let me know if that works!

Hi, @amks. We cannot do the verification process using that record because it is a subdomain of subdomain of an apex domain (in other words, too many subdomains down).

However, I have made a change which will allow you to add the custom domain to your site. (This is different from the verification process.) Would you please try adding it again now?

Hey @luke , if verification is not possible, that’s completely alright. However, I am still unable to add the domain on netlify.

When I get the prompt: You can still add begin.berkeley.edu to your Netlify site if you already own the domain. Is it yours?, I click Yes, Add Domain.

The error I get is the following: custom_domain is owned by another account

Hi, @amks. Are you getting this error when trying to add begin.berkeley.edu here?

https://app.netlify.com/sites/festive-euler-7b8047/settings/domain#custom-domains

That should work without errors. If it does not, please let us know.

Hey @luke — yes, that link gives the above error. It does not work.

Even more specifically, https://app.netlify.com/sites/festive-euler-7b8047/settings/domain/setup. This link does not work

Hi, @amks. I just tested adding (and then removing) begin.berkeley.edu from a test site and it worked for me. This is just a normal user account without any special permissions.

Is that the custom domain you are adding (begin.berkeley.edu)?

If so, may I have permission to test logging in as you and trying to add this to your site? Note, this will temporarily lock you out of the account while I test. However, you will be able to log back in again once I’m now.

If I may have your permission to test logging in as you or if there are any questions, please reply anytime.

Hey @luke ,

Go for it — that is the custom domain I am adding, yes. Feel free to perform some test logging.

Hey @luke ,

Following up!

Hi, @amks. You likely have seen the password change email which was me logging in. You can always reset that password here:

https://app.netlify.com/login/forgot-password

I was able to get the same error even though I had an override in place for site and domain. I’m escalating this issue to our developers as the playbook for overriding this domain owner check isn’t working and I don’t know why.

Once we have more information from our developers we will reply here to let you know what we have found. If there are other questions in the meantime, please reply here anytime.

Howdy @amks,
We got this fixed for you- site loads at begin.berkeley.edu and has a shiny new SSL certificate :tada: Please confirm that all looks good on your end too.

@jen Thank you so much!! Everything looks great :slight_smile:

1 Like