Update: connecting private, organization-owned GitHub repositories

how can i check if a certain site i have hosted on netlify is from an organization account? ( i got a message saying one or more is, but I have no idea which one it is.)
I was pretty sure all of my websites were hosted from public or private repositories, but all from my personal account.
How can I check this?

If you have feedback, please use the feedback form which goes directly to the Product team.

We’re keeping the forum topic focused on questions in order to keep the discussion civil and make it easier for people to scan for answers quickly.

@elliotaplant You have a few options if you want to stay on a Starter plan:

Note that if you do one of the last two, you’ll need to push a commit to the repo so Netlify can pick up the updated settings in the deploy hook sent from GitHub. (No need to run the build all the way through — you can cancel it anytime, as the settings will already be updated.)

We’re not requiring that you take any of these actions yet, but in the meantime, if you’d like to try out Pro, we’re offering the first month free.

@Jhonatan-de-Souza I find the quickest way to scan is to go to your sites list and hover over the “GitHub” link under each site name. As you hover, check the destination link in your browser and scan for the owner part of the URL, checking for an owner that isn’t your personal user.

deploys-from-github

@verythorough If I were impacted by this change, and going from a free account to a “Pro” account, what would the monthly increase in cost be?

@verythorough Is there a reason that the (very) informative post by @nathanmartin was just deleted from this forum? I’m talking about the one that has been reposted here. Has it now become common practice for moderators here to simply delete any post that they no longer agree with?

@nathanmartin It would depend on the number of team members and usage levels on the account.

For most Starter teams, the increase would be $19 per month (after the first free month), which is the subscription rate for 1 team member.

For a Starter team with multiple members, they would be paying $15 for each additional member while on Starter, so the increase would be $19/mo for the first user, plus a difference of $4 for each of the additional users (after the first free month).

For a Starter team with build minute or bandwidth overage charges, their member subscription would increase like the teams above, but their overage charges would decrease, possibly to zero, because the included allowances for those are much higher on Pro (10x higher for bandwidth, 25x higher for build minutes).

For a Starter team with Git contributors that are not already team members, they’ll have the first free month to decide which contributors they’d like to allow to deploy to Netlify, and after that they’ll pay the same $19 rate for each month in which those contributors are actively deploying.

Of course there are more scenarios, but that covers a few examples, and the FAQ page explains some of this as well. If anyone has a particular situation they’re not sure about, we can explain it in specifics.

@kaishiro As noted in the original topic post, this thread is focused on questions and answers.

@verythorough Thanks for the detailed response.

When you say that existing “Starter” plans are paying “$15 for each additional member” do you mean “actual Netlify members (admin access)” or “git contributors”?

What happens if a “Starter” account has one “Netlify member”, but 7+ contributors when they move to “Pro”?

As per the previous pricing changes, would that force them to an Enterprise Account, or perhaps from the platform entirely if they couldn’t afford that fee?

Hopefully you’re aware that you can branch a post out into its own thread, which is preferable to just deleting them for “community guidelines violations”.

@verythorough If that’s truly the case, then why was the reasoning for the removal that it “wasn’t civil”, as he’s stated in his reposting. Surely stating that it was “off topic” would have been more appropriate?

Invited Netlify team members with admin access. On the Starter plan, Git contributors do not need to be team members in order to deploy. As mentioned in my previous post, when a team with external contributors upgrades to Pro, they can decide which contributors they’d like to allow to deploy. They will not be forced into Enterprise.

At this point, I’ve covered a variety of hypothetical scenarios, so I’ll reserve any further attention for specific questions from users on Starter teams with existing private, organization-owned GitHub repositories.

@kaishiro I deleted the posts because they were off-topic. I made a general statement about why this topic is focused on questions and not feedback, but made no comments about the civility of the specific posts.

Reiterating that this topic is for specific questions about how this change applies to specific individual’s scenarios, I won’t be responding any further to off-topic debate.

Thanks @verythorough!

While I admit it’s not the case for my own plan, I answer many more support queries on your forum than the average user, (one of the stated aims of this forum! - to crowdsource support), so knowing correct information helps, and I am in a discussion (on Slack) with someone that this does impact, so my questions aren’t purely hypothetical as you’ve implied.

A question that they’ve asked, (which may be considered off topic), is why these kinds of changes are occurring intermittently instead of “all at once”?

As they’ve expressed that it’s causing them to need to keep contacting clients regarding fluctuating pricing.

Can you advise when the actual limitations will take effect?

I just received the email “Change to your Netlify plan: private, organization-owned GitHub repos are now a Pro feature”, which states:

Currently, your Netlify Starter plan team has at least one site connected to a private, organization-owned Github repo

But checking all of my sites, there are no organization repos which are private.

So it appears there’s something wrong with the way that the data is calculated on Netlify’s side.

@verythorough have you had any similar reports to this?

Hi @karlhorky, we haven’t had any reports like that yet, but thanks for checking!

Using the info you sent in the feedback form, I looked up your account and found there are two sites connected to org-owned private GitHub repos. It could be that they were on the second page of your sites list? I actually missed some repos in my own account that way just last week.

I’ll send you a DM with the names of the sites.

1 Like

Could you check my account too? I’m getting this same notice and I’ve confirmed I only have one private repo, which is in my personal Github account. Thank you!

Are there any plans for educational pricing? I teach some webdev university courses and have found Netlify + GitHub very useful for assignments. Connecting to private repos is essential for such situations, as academic dishonesty is an actual thing.

@joelclermont I found two site repos in your team that our data thinks are private, but I can access the repos and see that they’re not. I wonder if they were changed recently?

I’ll send you a message with the repo names for reference. In the meantime, I’ll look into why they’re being categorized incorrectly.

@jpratt our product team is working on ways to support educational scenarios like yours. The feedback form is a great place to share your use case with them! If you leave your email address in the form, they can follow up with you.

I received the same message and all I can see are things linked to my private account.

(post deleted by author)