Home
Support Forums

Unable to resolve SSL cert

Been struggling to figure out why the SSL cert broke on my domain after some changes a few months ago.

Quick run down is:
Domain ‘aleksbatista.co.uk’ from ‘iwantmyname.com’ → NS pointed to Netlify → website running and hosted on Webflow

Have been using Netlify to manage the DNS for my domain ‘aleksbatista.co.uk’ and it used to run fine had SSL encryption running on root alekbatista.co.uk and www.aleksbatista.co.uk. After having to re-add the custom domain, issues came up. I’ve read through the troubleshooting guides and have been unable to find a solution. Based on another post, I checked if my issue is with an inactive DNS zone, but that doesn’t seem to be it.

Error code in chrome is NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID with detail

This server could not prove that it is aleksbatista.co.uk ; its security certificate is from *.webflow.io . This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

Webflow themselves, in the site dashboard, offer a setting to add an SSL cert. By default, webflow publishes a .webflow.io subdomain of the site. I get the same error code regardless of the setting being on or off (or maybe I’m not waiting long enough for it to go into effect!)

I’m a novice at Netlify, and it’s taken a while to understand the various terms like DNS, SSL, CNAME, and MX. Would greatly appreciate someone more savvy to step in a lend a hand so I understand the situation better. Happy to provide more details if I’ve missed out on anything important!

Hi there! We’ve created this DNS Quickstart guide for this very purpose - to get you up and running as quickly as possible.

Please take a look - we have many resources listed at the bottom, too. And, there are tons of DNS questions you can access through our search! If your problem still persists after reading through all relevant guides, please post again and we will troubleshoot with you.

@aleksb Netlify’s SSL cannot be applied to sites not hosted on Netlify.

|======================== check for server ======================
| ---------------------- should be Netlify ----------------------
| --------------------- aleksbatista.co.uk ---------------------
< Server: openresty

| ------------------- www.aleksbatista.co.uk -------------------
< Server: openresty
|================================================================