Unable to login - authentication error

I was in the middle of using the admin panel and then when trying to go to view my deploy preview the link doesn’t work. Then when I refresh the page it gives me the following message:

Authentication Error

Authenticating failed due to the following error: We already have a registered user with this email address. Log in to connect your GitHub account.

I then try going back to the app.netlify dashboard which prompts my to login. I select login with Github again prompts me with the above message. It’s telling me to login with my Github account which is exactly what I’m trying to do.

This still happens when I clear my cache too.

Hi, @hanniabu. The usual solution for this issue is the following steps.

1. Login to Netlify using the email address and password only.

2. Once logged into Netlify with the email address and password, then change the GitHub account associated with this email address here: Netlify App

3. Log out of Netlify.

Once this is done, you should be able to log into Netlify using GitHub or the email address. Both methods of login should work now. If they do not or if there are any other questions, please let us know.

this is not working for me

@okboomer this didn’t work for me initially but then I cleared by cookies and cache trying what luke suggested again and then it worked

Hi, @okboomer. I don’t show any attempt to configure a password for your login. It is still currently GitHub SSO only.

You can request a password reset here:

Once that is done, you can login with username and password. If you don’t receive the password reset email or if there are any questions, please feel free to reply here anytime.

The irony of a website hosting service having an bug-ridden basic UX login/register use case is fantastic

I have tried this and set my password. But if I login using the password, It’s just the page with Netlify logo that displays, playing animations endlessly.

@AbdulrazaqAS, please share your email so we can check.

abdulrazaq2621@gmail.com

Hiya, can you please write into our helpdesk here so we can take a look? thank you!

It’s not working up to now.

@hrishikesh Any good news?

Hey there, I see you sent in a ticket to the helpdesk, so we will continue to resolve this issue there. Thanks!

Sir, I am unable to login to my netlify account. It is displaying:

Authentication Error
Authenticating failed due to the following error: We already have a registered user with this email address. Log in to connect your GitHub account.

I have also tried to reset my password and clear cookies and catch data but while login it is only displaying netlify logo loading.

Hi @mohitX :wave:t6: thanks for reaching out. Your account was disabled because you were found conducting phishing attacks on our platform This is against our terms of service and for this reason you will need to find a new platform to host your content.

I was facing same issue of Authentication Error using Bitbucket but after that I have tried to set new password. But if I login using the password, It’s just the page with Netlify logo loading, playing animations endlessly. my Netlify and business email id is harsh.20scse1040084@galgotiasuniversity.edu.in

Hi thanks for reaching out. After further investigation it was uncovered that you were conducting a phishing attack on our platform with one of your sites. You will need to find a new platform to host your content as this violates our terms of service.

As you know I can’t login to my account so I can’t remove that website and use my netlify account as normal.
Yes, I know which website is creating this issue. That is netflix clone website there was a redirect.txt file in that which is causing an issue. when I see this on google console but before modifying the code netlify account shutdown with error authentication. I want to recover my account.

Hi, you cannot recover your account or regain access to our platform. If you have any further questions I encourage you to reach out to our fraud and abuse team: fraud@netlify.com