Unable to login - authentication error

I was in the middle of using the admin panel and then when trying to go to view my deploy preview the link doesn’t work. Then when I refresh the page it gives me the following message:

Authentication Error

Authenticating failed due to the following error: We already have a registered user with this email address. Log in to connect your GitHub account.

I then try going back to the app.netlify dashboard which prompts my to login. I select login with Github again prompts me with the above message. It’s telling me to login with my Github account which is exactly what I’m trying to do.

This still happens when I clear my cache too.

Hi, @hanniabu. The usual solution for this issue is the following steps.

1. Login to Netlify using the email address and password only.

2. Once logged into Netlify with the email address and password, then change the GitHub account associated with this email address here: Netlify App

3. Log out of Netlify.

Once this is done, you should be able to log into Netlify using GitHub or the email address. Both methods of login should work now. If they do not or if there are any other questions, please let us know.

this is not working for me

@okboomer this didn’t work for me initially but then I cleared by cookies and cache trying what luke suggested again and then it worked

Hi, @okboomer. I don’t show any attempt to configure a password for your login. It is still currently GitHub SSO only.

You can request a password reset here:

https://app.netlify.com/login/forgot-password

Once that is done, you can login with username and password. If you don’t receive the password reset email or if there are any questions, please feel free to reply here anytime.