Unable to add additional A record to create MX entry

PLEASE help us help you by writing a good post!

• we need to know your netlify site name. Example: yessentia.com
  • DNS issues? Tell us the custom domain, tell us the error message! We can’t help if we don’t know your domain.
    yessentia.netlify.app
    I am trying to add A record 148.66.138.172 to allow us to add MX record for our email system but getting error “dns_api yessentia.com - yessentia.com/A: 400 - link exists, all config must be empty”

Can you help me to resolve this

How exactly will adding a A record let you add a MX record? Those 2 are kind of independent of one another. Could you please detail your setup?

Hi, @webeyz. You cannot create an A record when there is a NETLIFY record for the same name. First you must delete the Netlify type record for the name here:

https://app.netlify.com/account/dns/yessentia.com

Note, if you delete the NETLIFY type record, it will take your website for that custom domain offline at Netlify. I don’t think this is what you want to do so I’m curious why you want to do so.

Would it be possible to share the instructions you are following here? I want to see those instructions so I can understand what the goal is.

Specifically, I want to understand why your email configuration requires an A record for the apex domain. This isn’t often required so I’m trying to figure out why it is required for your email service. If you send me the instructions for your email service, I might be able to read them to find out why it is required.

Hi

Basically our email server is with ip 148.66.138.172 would like to add mx record for this server with above ip how can this be done ?
also would like to create link to access webmail using the link http://yessentia.com/webmail (this should be my email server with ip 148.66.138.172

hi there, did you see this guide already?

I did not get what i wanted support for
Let me put this across clearly once again
My email server is with godaddy which has ip address as 148.66.138.172
what is the way to add MX record for this server can anyone help

MX records cannot have an IP address.

Hi, @webeyz. Again, I don’t know what the requirements are for that email service so all I can do is answer your questions about our DNS service.

No one can create an MX record with an IP address target. The internet isn’t designed to allow that. For that to become possible, first you must redesign the internet. As I don’t think you will be doing that, we need to find a solution that is possible now.

If I can see the instructions you are following, I might be able to assist more effectively. I asked for those instructions once already:

GoDaddy must have instructions you are following. Would you please send us a link to those instructions? Once I can see those instructions and can tell you how to follow those instructions with Netlify DNS.