Home
Support Forums

Transferring hosting to Netlify from Wix

Hi!

I purchased a website domain on Wix, and would like to transfer the hosting to Netlify.

Netlify have instructed that I must change the name servers on Wix, however this is not possible with Wix.

How can I point my domain to netlify without changing the name servers on Wix?

Thanks!

Has anyone had this problem, and have a solution?

Here’s the documentation from Wix: https://support.wix.com/en/article/connecting-a-wix-domain-to-an-external-site

Here’s the required documentation from Netlify: https://docs.netlify.com/domains-https/custom-domains/configure-external-dns/#configure-an-apex-domain

1 Like

Hey.

Is my domain considered an apex domain? It is www.tecniastructure.com
So I don’t think it is a subdomain.

So I just add an A record to the DNS records in Wix, with Netlify’s IP address, does this sound correct?

1 Like

The apex domain would be tecniastructure.com. www is a subdomain.

Yeah it does. Just make sure to not add those records to the www version of the website. Netlify would do it automatically.

Thanks.
It looks like Wix support both adjusting C and A records.

Blockquote

Unlike subdomains, apex domains don’t support CNAME records. The standard alternative, an A record , points to a single server IP address, which means it can’t take advantage of direct DNS routing on a global CDN like Netlify’s.

Some DNS providers, such as Netlify DNS or NS1, have devised special record types to simulate CNAME-style domain resolution for apex domains. Find out if your provider supports this type of behavior, which might be labeled as CNAME flattening, ANAME records, or ALIAS records.

If your DNS provider supports one of these special record types (recommended), find and follow their instructions to point the apex domain directly to your Netlify subdomain, such as brave-curie-671954.netlify.app .

If your DNS provider does not support CNAME-style resolution for apex domains , you must configure your domain with a single-server A record:

Blockquote

Does this mean that I should adjust the A record only?

As it says “apex domains don’t support CNAME records”

You can try adding a CNAME anyways by using @ in the host name section and the rest same as the documentation.

Thank you so much for your help.
Should I try adding CNAME and also A record?

A and CNAME (or ALIAS) both are required. Just adding one won’t help.

Do I have to delete the current CNAME and A ? (that are present on wix)

Yes. Delete current CNAME records. Add a new one with @ and the rest of the details from Netlify.

The host name should probably be @ and not www.

Delete also the A record? Now I added the netlify one, but haven’t deleted the existing.

Yes. Only the Netlify A and CNAME records should exist.

I received this error message when I tried to input ‘@’

Wix documentation says ‘Leave this field blank if instructed to add @ sign’. So, just leave it blank and check.

Reading through the Netlify documentation, it seems to suggest that it cannot be both a CNAME and an A record, but just one or the other:

Configure an apex domain

Unlike subdomains, apex domains don’t support CNAME records. The standard alternative, an A record , points to a single server IP address, which means it can’t take advantage of direct DNS routing on a global CDN like Netlify’s.

Some DNS providers, such as Netlify DNS or NS1, have devised special record types to simulate CNAME-style domain resolution for apex domains. Find out if your provider supports this type of behavior, which might be labeled as CNAME flattening, ANAME records, or ALIAS records.

If your DNS provider supports one of these special record types (recommended), find and follow their instructions to point the apex domain directly to your Netlify subdomain, such as brave-curie-671954.netlify.app .

If your DNS provider does not support CNAME-style resolution for apex domains , you must configure your domain with a single-server A record:

Alright, my bad, just enter www there.