This Site Can't be Reached: On and Off

Hey!

I recently linked my google domain name to netlify using the name servers given by netlify, and removed the CNAME that I previously had pointing my custom domain to the netlify subdomain.

Every so often, the site gets the error “This site cannot be reached” which typically resolves after a few minutes. This seems to occur cyclically however I am unsure whether it is the result of something that I did with my DNS setup. Is there something that I am missing, or is it just something that needs to be waited out?

Netlify subdomain: cameronleeming.netlify.app
Primary custom domain (from Google Domains): www.cameronleeming.com

I’m quite new to all of this, so feel free to let me know if I need to explain anything better!

Hi, @CamLM. My best guess is TTL (time to live) issues and there is more about this in the support guide below:

If the issue is still happening, the best troubleshooting tool I personally know of is dig. If you are able to instal dig, the output of the following command (run from the affected system) would be helpful:

dig +trace cameronleeming.com

or:

dig +trace www.cameronleeming.com

Which command to use depends on which domain name is returning the error. If it was TTL issue, it could already be resolved but if not the output of one of the commands above should tell us more about why it isn’t working.

If there are any questions or if you have the output of the command, please let us know.