[Support Guide] SSL / TLS Certificate Provisioning

Hi Luke,

Thanks for this post. In my case for speedlab.ag, both requirements are met as the SSL is expired, but when I click provision certificate on netlify, the window closes and it goes back to “Use let’s encrypt certificate” no matter how many times I try.

The SSL was previously running fine through Netlify and expired 11 days ago. There were no DNS or domain changes. Could you help me in fixing this?

Thank you

Hi there!

This shows the problem:

% host speedlab.ag
speedlab.ag has address 75.2.60.5
speedlab.ag has IPv6 address 2a01:488:42:1000:b01c:24a1:ffc3:882a

We do not have an ipv6 load balancer, so that AAAA record: speedlab.ag has IPv6 address 2a01:488:42:1000:b01c:24a1:ffc3:882a is incorrect, points to another service, and will prevent us getting a certificate.

Once you remove it, the button should work :slight_smile:

Hi there!

Having trouble getting two domains set up:

1. app.instamortgage.com → im-pos-prod.netlify.app
  2. admin.instamortgage.com → im-los-prod.netlify.app

The sites are routing correctly via http, so it appears the DNS is set up correctly, but I’m just getting vague errors when I try to provision the SSL cert. Please let me know what to try.

Assuming your DNS is set up correctly the provisioning sometimes takes a ‘while’ after you set up the custom domain. I would recommend looking now and seeing if has ‘automagically’ fixed itself. The process is not instantaneous, and the UI could use a little polish to reflect that.

@kael

The first site was already resolved by the time I checked, the second I just kicked a provisioning from my end and that worked.

Yes, it looks like it’s all set now. In past experiences setting this up, it seemed to be pretty instant, but for some reason these sites took several days. Additionally, the UI showed unspecified errors with the certs, so it was confusing. Anyway, all set now.

1 Like

Awesome thanks so much for confirming.

Hi, I followed Steps 1 to 3 from the SSL certificate troubleshopting guide to get SSL working for steirerspargel.at.

I have found no errors in the DNS configuration, yet the provisioning of the certificate won’t go through. I serve a few domains via netlify and this is the first one where SSL won’t work.

Any help is highly appreciated :pray:

Edit: as @SamO noted below, the issue has resolved itself with time. Thanks!

Hi, I just checked the site name you shared and the cert has been issued already and is working this could have been held up by a propagation issue. If you are still experiencing this problem please let me know.

1 Like

Hello @fool I have web applications in my account and I pointed one as a subdomain admin.togumeso.com and SSL works but the other application that points to the main domain togumeso.com is still not able to use SSL. Can you help out? @SamO

Hi, @kobbycoder. I’m showing SSL is working for both domain now. My best guess is that the time to live value were the cause of the delay.

Hi, first I am not sure if I should create a separate thread or if asking here is fine :sweat_smile: I’ll try here first

We transferred a domain (the domain is “linattendu04.fr”) to OVH the August 3 changed the default NS for netlify’s NS but we was unable to renew a certificate due to DNSSEC so we turned off DNSSEC in the OVH panel but now we are the August 10 and we still can’t renew cert :confused:

I tried to create a cert on my own with certbot with a dns challenge as quickfix until propagation end but let’s enscrypt complain about TXT missing

Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: manual). The Certificate Authority reported these problems:
  Domain: linattendu04.fr
  Type:   dns
  Detail: DNS problem: looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.linattendu04.fr: DNSSEC: DNSKEY Missing

Domain: www.linattendu04.fr
  Type:   dns
  Detail: DNS problem: looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.www.linattendu04.fr: DNSSEC: DNSKEY Missing

even few hours later let’s enscrypt doesn’t found any TXT (I believe in should say value missmatch instead of not found)

other hint :

• my web browser is unable to get any IP from DNS over HTTPS for this domain
  • Dig (DNS lookup) report no records too
  • a dig linattendu04.fr report correct IP while when I ask to 1.1.1.1 it answer no records
; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> linattendu04.fr @1.1.1.1
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 38089
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
; OPT=15: 00 09 6e 6f 20 53 45 50 20 6d 61 74 63 68 69 6e 67 20 74 68 65 20 44 53 20 66 6f 75 6e 64 20 66 6f 72 20 6c 69 6e 61 74 74 65 6e 64 75 30 34 2e 66 72 2e ("..no SEP matching the DS found for linattendu04.fr.")
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;linattendu04.fr.		IN	A

;; Query time: 36 msec
;; SERVER: 1.1.1.1#53(1.1.1.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Aug 10 10:29:21 CEST 2023
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 99

I’m out of idea for now I hope someone will be able to help me :sweat_smile:

Hi @flapili, we are unable to provision a certificate due to DNSSEC. I can see multiple errors related to DNSSEC for your domain here:
https://dnsviz.net/d/linattendu04.fr/dnssec/

You’ll need to contact OVH to clear up what’s happening on their end.

Hello, I have a problem with the certificate which is kinda strange, I recently switched to different mobile network provider, they upgraded my internet speed and gave me automatically some kind of internet protection for free (trial), anyways I’ve opened one of my projects on my phone and it showed a warring that the about the SSL certificate (screenshot below and also log from firefox browser).

Peer’s Certificate issuer is not recognized.

HTTP Strict Transport Security: true
HTTP Public Key Pinning: false

Certificate chain:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
MIICpTCCAY2gAwIBAgIRAJjH1GQAAAAABncBAAAAAAAwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQELBQAw
fzELMAkGA1UEBhMCRVMxDzANBgNVBAgMBk1hZHJpZDEPMA0GA1UEBwwGTWFkcmlk
MQ4wDAYDVQQKDAVBbGxvdDEOMAwGA1UECwwFQWxsb3QxLjAsBgNVBAMMJWFsbG90
LmNvbS9lbWFpbEFkZHJlc3M9aW5mb0BhbGxvdC5jb20wHhcNMTYxMjE2MTMwNzQ5
WhcNMjYxMjE2MTMwNzQ5WjAcMRowGAYDVQQDDBF3d3cucmFpc2tpZ2F6Lm5ldDBZ
MBMGByqGSM49AgEGCCqGSM49AwEHA0IABFhhKScz+1VIm0Alzl+8URE7GH5cgE8n
BVeJ7b0GkkBAsi1sByor6w4kJvglt8r0eJX1WLWZYYGSBjtKzw6IwfKjSjBIMBwG
A1UdEQQVMBOCEXd3dy5yYWlza2lnYXoubmV0MB0GA1UdDgQWBBR3FQdc0ruOpOen
4cZX23e5GeMxWzAJBgNVHRMEAjAAMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBCwUAA4IBAQClcdCfmcVD
zW35x7EBZReHp3r8YMn2Ge9frvy3aOLbGyLGih3b5c5WQmHUIoThJbv5VpItTume
JKDIKD9Pjy/2v+6+0an2tHKPxTsMARxofyH0/51/g9EXI8qw9NFE3j808sxeMn0x
Z/lAsAzGis0H8cD6H5M7oHe4UtcnVsBc38kfoDHzU1EHIcy5Zo1VrHVEO+wgXh3M
aVJaz30tCjlGO2F3lSGFiltOTbTibqJLxtxgNjyupgYV7HgBjhr5yDPfdgA22TBJ
9JXOXmm4sLYe8W1Z4ZWm8TIlnrJyCxlPooR5QM5hXcWqaqdRVp1E7C2Ki3h1iPkn
zznk5gYLSX4g
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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-----END CERTIFICATE-----

I imediatly stopped the internet protection, but it is still not working. I cannot access my website only when using mobile connection, if I switch to Wi-Fi it is opening without any issues. I’ve tried to renew certificate from Netlify - Domain managment - Https - SSL/TLS certificate - Renew certificate. But It is still not working. Can someone help, please?

Your website appears to work fine. This sounds like a local issue to me.