Subdomains with www on netlify - how to set up?

Hello Denis,
Same situation here with a different outcome. The www certificate has indeed been created but I’m not able to create branch domains such as branch.www.website.it as the system automatically assume that I want something like branch.website.it skipping the www part.
Is there something you can do about it?

Hi, @Comodolab. Please refer to the following support guide:

As this guide states, the subdomain will be under the primary custom domain. If you make the primary custom domains www (and not the apex domain) the branch subdomains will be branch-name.www.example.com and not branch-name.example.com.

Also, I think the custom domain on your site has an inactive DNS zone at Netlify. There is more about this here:

This must be resolved before the branch subdomain SSL can be extended to include the branches.

Please let us know if there are any questions about either the branch subdomain issue or the inactive DNS zone issue.

Hello Luke,

First of all thank you very much for your help. It’s very much appreciated.

As you can see from the screenshot I’ve indeed set the www domain as primary:

But the branch domain that comes out doesn’t take the www in consideration.

Also the inactive apex domain zone cannot be removed once the www primary domain is set and, obviously, the branch.domain.tld domain is not secured with LetsEncrypt.

I guess my only way to go, to have branch domains regularly working would be:

a. Bringing the apex domain on netlify DNS (which I cannot do)
b. Using external DNS for the whole zone (but then I’ll loose automatic LetsEncrypt certificates for the www domain)

My third option is to keep things as they are. Yes, I’ll loose the ability to have auto SSL for branch.domain.ltd but the main www.domain.ltd should work all right, isn’t it?

That branch subdomain was created when the primary custom domain was the apex domain. It reflects a past state of the site.

Also, that is an automatically created branch subdomain which only happens when a DNS zone exists for the domain with Netlify DNS. However, the Netlify DNS zone is inactive and it won’t work.

To resolve this, delete them both (the DNS zone and the branch subdomain under site settings) and follow the branch subdomain without Netlify DNS instructions.

If that is done, the SSL for branch subdomains will work but the manual process must be used. Again, if you use Netlify DNS the automatic process for branch subdomain SSL will work (but you are not using Netlify DNS).

If there are other questions, please let us know.