Static website takes over a minute to load

hi,

this is my first time using Netlify, I used it to deploy my portfolio which is just a really simple static site built using vanilla HTML/CSS/JS. I’ve deployed the first draft of it using my Git repo. I notice that it takes a very long time to load, over one minute. I have tried on a couple different networks as well as on my mobile phone.

is this typical, or is there something I can do to make it load up faster?

thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Mind helping us with a link to the website?

Hi, @julianazlatevski. I believe much of the issue has to do with the size of the site. I’m showing 61.3 MB of data transfer for the page load of the landing page of the site. The majority of that transfer is for a single GIF file which is 51292535 bytes (48.9 MB).

Replacing that GIF with something much smaller (or removing it completely) would be a big step in reducing the page load time. As, @hrishikesh mentioned, no one outside of Netlify’s support team has any way to know what your site is. If you publicly share the URL for the site then more people (meaning people not on the Netlify support team) will be able to assist you in troubleshooting.

If there are other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Hey @luke & @hrishikesh, thank you so much for responding so quickly.

Sorry I completely forgot to include a link to my site, but you’re right, it was definitely the GIF bogging things down. I replaced it w/ a screenshot and the page loads very quickly now.

Thanks so much for your help!

1 Like