Starting out with Netlify

Hello,

I am new to Netlify and today I uploaded my first website to be hosted. This is a static website and I am little lost now, I just uploaded all the files from my desktop and site is up and running, now I want to use a CMS so other would be able to edit some webpages on the website, but whenever I look at some of the tutorials they all are quite complicated Here is an example video: Netlify CMS - Content Management System (using Gridsome) - YouTube at 1:30 all his files are nice and ordered whilst mine don’t look like that at all Would this be an issue for setting up a CMS with netlify? - Album on Imgur, would that be an issue? I only have experience in CSS & HTTP. So here is my question, would the way I ordered my files obstruct the capability of implementing CMS into the webpage?

Thanks in advance.

@mausquared welcome to the netlify community!

whilst mine don’t look like that at all, would that be an issue?

Kinda, but more for your sanity than a requirement.

I only have experience in CSS & HTTP. So here is my question, would the way I ordered my files obstruct the capability of implementing CMS into the webpage?

Only in the sense that a CMS would want to have a location for the pages to be predictable. In the case of NetlifyCMS which he is using in the video, a collection of files would need to exist in one directory. The issue here is NetlifyCMS can’t edit HTML files. NetlifyCMS can edit markdown and json data.

You would have to find a CMS solution that supports editing HTML files.

Suggestion

Try out some of the simple SSG’s out there that create files from markdown or other formats of content data. There would be a learning curve, but that is the next natural step for creating static sites after you learn HTML and CSS.

1 Like