SSL/TLS certificate DNS verification failed, then succeeded, then failed

I was getting the following error when trying to verify the DNS and setup HTTPS, then it was verified and I was waiting for the certificate to be issued, then I started getting the error again.

www.studiosidekick.com.au doesn't appear to be served by Netlify

I checked the response headers and they all say Server: Netlify.

Currently my domains are setup like so:

www.studiosidekick.com.au (Primary)
studiosidekick.com.au (Redirects to Primary)

Following the troubleshooting guide, I suspect it’s an issue with my DNS records (possibly A records?), which are setup as follows:

A www.studiosidekick.com.au 104.198.14.52
A studiosidekick.com.au 104.198.14.52
ALIAS studiosidekick.com.au studiosidekick.netlify.app
CNAME www studiosidekick.netlify.app

studiosidekick.com.au loads fine, but www.studiosidekick.com.au does not.

Can anyone tell me where I’ve gone wrong? Thanks!

Hey @dmcleod,
Yes, you’re on the right track! All you need is an A record and a CNAME record. They should look like this:

• A record: studiosidekick.com.au pointing to 104.198.14.52 (our load balancer)
  • CNAME record: www.studiosidekick.com.au pointing to studiosidekick.netlify.app

You already have the correct A record for the apex domain :tada: Just need to delete the A record for www., as well as the ALIAS record, and update the CNAME to reflect what I mentioned above. Let us know if you still run into problems after that.

1 Like

hi @jen, looks like that did the trick! The A records were already setup on the domain, I just changed the value without realising i needed to remove the www version and I must of misread the directions about setting up CNAME/ALIAS records.

thanks for your help!