Site not found - DNS issue?

Hello,

My site at katrinadawn.ca ( https://pensive-minsky-958e32.netlify.app/ ) has stopped working, though the netlify version works fine. It has been up since 2018 with its configuration, so it’s a bit of a puzzle why it stopped working yesterday.

I’ve gone through this article ([Support Guide] Minimal downtime for a live site DNS migration) which I found here to see if I can resolve myself, no luck so far. It is using Cloudflare to point the A record to an IP address at Netlify, though for some reason it was using the “orange cloud” to proxy - I have since turned this off so that it is using “DNS only”. So far, I’m also unable to renew the Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate from within the Netlify dashboard also.

I’ve gone as far as I can with my own understanding… thanks for your help in advance.

Hey there,
Sorry for the trouble here. These are the instructions you’ll want: Configure external DNS for a custom domain | Netlify Docs

When I check host, I see that your domain is pointing to DigitalOcean:

% host katrinadawn.ca
katrinadawn.ca has address 104.248.78.23

That IP address may have been in rotation at Netlify at one point, but no longer is- different nodes come in and out of rotation all the time. That is why we recommend the A/CNAME combination in the instructions I shared above as opposed to pointing DNS records at an IP address that happens to be serving your site on the day that you’re setting up DNS. Please give us a shout if you’re still running into this problem after making those changes!

thanks Jen - changing the IP to the one listed for Netlify’s load balancer has done the trick, and instantly. Will this IP address remain in place, or do you think I should look closer at the CNAME flattening part?

@mlaroy You don’t need CNAME flattening, but you do need to add a CNAME for your www custom domain that points to your Netlify subdomain.

Also, if you intend to run Cloudflare for your name server(s), you need to delete your custom domain from the Domains page in the Netlify dashboard. Right now, you have an inactive zone:

|================== check for inactive DNS zone =================
| --------------- last line should show nsone.net ---------------
;; Received 581 bytes from 198.182.167.1#53(j.ca-servers.ca) in 22 ms

katrinadawn.ca.		86400	IN	NS	drew.ns.cloudflare.com.
katrinadawn.ca.		86400	IN	NS	leah.ns.cloudflare.com.
;; Received 98 bytes from 172.64.33.160#53(drew.ns.cloudflare.com) in 19 ms
|================================================================

Fix these two issues and you should be a lot closer to having a working website.

1 Like