Site 404's after Deployment, yes there is an Index.html in the root folder, no it isnt made with a framework, yes I checked the FAQ

Im a newbie and got netlify recommended to me after I was basically left hanging with my project (with a lot of money on the line) by my “Web-Developer” and I had to learn practically everything from scratch and 0 to even try to rebuild my site.
Im far from being settled and I feel pretty exhausted and overwhelmed already, also quite disappointed so please be nice to me ok? Im having a super hard time rn. :innocent: :heart:

I tried to deploy the site from my private github repo and link it to one of my domains I purchased months ago, the DNS and nameserver is set up with the registrar so it should be working on that end. Previous plugins also seem to load given that I got a notif from Brave. However the url returns a 404 and the dashboard in netlify also shows a 404. Its a bog standard HTML,CSS,JS page since I only know how to make a site like that currently. I would greatly appreciate any help or if someone could link me to a video or something or anything that explains what I have to put in or type out.

admiring-cray-4c77a2

https://www.walletr.ee/

Hi @nochill-1,

A couple of questions to start off.

• Is there an error anywhere in the deploy log for your site?
  • Do you have a netlify.toml file in your repo?
  • You are not using any framework (Next.js, NuxtJS, Vue, React) that require build commands?
1 Like

Heya,

there was this cache fetch error but I assume this is because its the first time?

10:37:07 PM: Build ready to start
10:37:09 PM: build-image version: 0582042f4fc261adc7bd8333f34884959c577302
10:37:09 PM: build-image tag: v3.7.6
10:37:09 PM: buildbot version: f7cf745bf3815a7749b6e76276061ab74dee3220
10:37:09 PM: Fetching cached dependencies
10:37:09 PM: Failed to fetch cache, continuing with build
10:37:09 PM: Starting to prepare the repo for build
10:37:09 PM: No cached dependencies found. Cloning fresh repo
10:37:09 PM: git clone https://github.com/nochill-1/walletr.ee
10:37:11 PM: Preparing Git Reference refs/heads/main
10:37:11 PM: Parsing package.json dependencies
10:37:12 PM: No build steps found, continuing to publishing
10:37:12 PM: Starting to deploy site from '/'
10:37:12 PM: Creating deploy tree 
10:37:12 PM: Creating deploy upload records
10:37:12 PM: 15 new files to upload
10:37:12 PM: 0 new functions to upload
10:37:13 PM: Starting post processing
10:37:13 PM: Post processing - HTML
10:37:13 PM: Finished processing build request in 4.09682103s
10:37:13 PM: Post processing - header rules
10:37:13 PM: Post processing - redirect rules
10:37:13 PM: Post processing done
10:37:13 PM: Site is live ✨
  1. No I dont have that. What is that and where do I get it and where do I need to put it?

2. I can barely align elements with flexbox, so no, a framework is several leagues above me

Site is live is generally a good sign :slight_smile:

As your repo is private, it is impossible to see if there are any problems there. So…

Do you have an index.html file? And is it in the root of your repo?

And this…

We all started there. No sooner do you master [sic] one thing than another comes along to challenge you. #alwayslearning

1 Like

@nochill-1 The directive to have your files in the root folder of your project don’t mean to have a folder named “root” with your files in it. It means to have your files at the top level of your project. Move your files out of the “root” folder so they are at the top level of your project and you will see your site, which currently is available only at Walletr.ee

2 Likes

OHHH!!! Thank you! I thought netlify resolves the folders and structures automatically. I didnt knew that. I thought the folder containing all elements has to be named root.

So I remove the /root/… and anything works as expected?

I do hope so yeah. Also, the issue was that I uploaded the files starting with /root/ when I should upload the contents of it

All part of learning. :slight_smile:

1 Like