Searches rendering www redirect (two 301s) instead of apex domain

Hello,

This may be a pretty simple question but I’m having issues with search results since switching to netlify. Basically most search results will render the www subdomain (which redirects through 301s) to my apex domain instead of just serving the apex. This wouldn’t be too much of an issue for me but for the fact that no metadata renders for that redirect (it just states redirecting to apexdomain.com).

I have the apex set as the primary domain through netlify so I’m just sort of at a loss of what I need to do to ensure that the apex (with accompanying metadata) is served through the SE.

Please let me know if any additional info is needed and I’d be happy to provide it. If I’m off-base with this question and it’s not something that’s handled by Netlify please let me know as well so I can continue searching else where.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hey @hrobb,

To start with, would it be possible for you to share the domain or the site name?

Also, I’m not sure what exactly do you mean by metadata here. Could you elaborate on that?

Hi hrishikesh.

bohemianwebdesign.com would be the domain.

By metadata I just meant the data that renders for sites when you use a search engine to access them (e.g. title, description). I’ve attached a screenshot to illustrate what I mean

From the further research I’ve done, it seems like 301s will eventually tell the search engine on future scrapes to use the main domain, I guess I just want to make sure I’ve done everything that I need to do from my end to ensure the proper search result is rendered going forward.

Google seems to have indexed your site properly.

Awesome, thanks for pointing this out! I usually use DDG so maybe it’s just a matter of waiting for future scrapes.

1 Like

DDG uses DuckDuckBot (btw DDG for the win!). When I access the apex using DuckDuckBot I see the index.html HTML page returned (not rendered with content) as I do with GoogleBot and bingbot.

When I access the www subdomain I see the message Redirecting to https://bohemianwebdesign.com/ as I do with GoogleBot and bingbot.

This behaviour exists with any user agent. Because of the Location header.

Hey,

So does this mean that things are as they should be and the crawlers will resolve that apex over time, or that I’d need to update the Location tag? Sorry I’m not super familiar with SEO.

Thanks for your response!

Neither am I. I hate SEO.

In theory search engines should follow the redirection.

Okay great! Thanks for your input.