Removed old site and domain, but still getting "Another site is already using this domain"

Netlify site: muvt.netlify.app
Custom domain: vancetran.com
Would like subdomain mu.vancetran.com for this app.

I’m getting an “Another site is already using this domain” error trying to set custom domain “vancetran.com” on muvt.netlify.app. I have the domain through Google Domains.

I’ve removed my vancetran.com domain from the top level and I’m trying to add a mu.vancetran.com to a specific site, but it gives me the “Another site is already using this domain” error. In the past I had pointed vancetran.com to another Netlify site, but I have since removed it. Not sure what to resolve this issue. Thank you for your assistance.

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

As you mentioned this used to be yours, you’ll need to please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on your current one.

Hi there, thank you. I’ve added that TXT record as instructed.

Hey @caverntan,
Unfortunately, I’m not able to see where you added the TXT record at your domain registrar :frowning: Here’s what I see when I run host in terminal to check:

$ host -t txt verified-for-netlify.vancetran.com
Host verified-for-netlify.vancetran.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
$ host -t txt verified-for-netlify.mu.vancetran.com 
Host verified-for-netlify.mu.vancetran.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

That said, do you still have access to the account where you previously set the custom domain? You mentioned that you deleted it, but maybe you only deleted the DNS zone, and did not remove the custom domain from the site as well. If you still have access, you can remove it by going to Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

That should let you add it to your other site, and then if there are DNS issues (which there might be because of the SERVFAIL response I mentioned above), let us know and we can try to sort it out

Ah I see the issue now. Thank you for working with me!

Old one: teams/vancetran (auth via Bitbucket)
New one: teams/vancetran-b3wdequ (auth Gitlab, Github)

So it looks like I can do what I need now, whether it’s freeing up the domain on the old account or whatever. Is it possible to consolidate the accounts?

Hey there,

Absolutely, we can consolidate all of your sites and domains on to one account.

Please visit Support and choose ‘site/DNS transfer’. We will ask you to reply using the email address of the account where the sites are being migrated from.

Hope this helps!