Redirect to primary domain breaks SSL

Hi there,

I’ve noticed some funky behaviour regarding the redirect to the primary domain. When typing in the address without WWW, it should redirect to the the HTTPS URL, which it doesn’t:

trvepeakstudio.netlify.app
Default subdomain

www.trvepeakstudio.com
Primary domain

trvepeakstudio.com
Redirects automatically to primary domain

I have another Netlify deploy where it’s working just fine (also built with Vue.js). What do you folks suggest? I thought of renewing the certificate but this seems to be a problem with the redirect, as the SSL certificate is working just fine…

Thank you very much in advance! :slight_smile:

@stevefrenzel Your SSL certificate seems OK, but you seem to have the CNAME for your www subdomain pointed at your apex domain, instead of at your Netlify subdomain. Have you verified that this isn’t causing the issue?

Hi @gregraven,

thank you very much for your quick reply!

I checked and compared both projects at Strato and Netlify and there’s literally no difference between the two. Yet the www-less domain is not listed in the certificate:

The A-Record is pointing at 104.198.14.52 but it’s not working for this particular deploy. It’s working here though:

aufewigwinter.netlify.app
Default subdomain

www.aufewigwinter.de
Primary domain

aufewigwinter.de
Redirects automatically to primary domain

Again, EXACT same settings but this one is working. Do you suggest renewing the certificate and reseting my DNS settings?

@stevefrenzel Well, you can try that, or you can try setting up your DNS as recommended in the documents, as I mentioned in my first response.

Hi @gregraven,

I just had to renew the certificate, it’s all working now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, @stevefrenzel. Thanks for letting us know the SSL is working now.

Note, the DNS being used is sending all traffic to a single CDN node.

trvepeakstudio.com.    	149	IN	A    	104.198.14.52
www.trvepeakstudio.com.	149	IN	CNAME	trvepeakstudio.com.

This is not a recommended configuration and you are not using our CDN at all. You only use a single IP address and so only use a single CDN node.

The recommended DNS configuration can be found here:

The recommended configuration is to make www the primary custom domain and to use a CNAME record pointing to the site subdomain at Netlify (like site-name-here.netlify.app).

If there are other questions or concerns, please let us know.