Please remove AAAA record for carbontoken.info

Hello there,
We have designed a new site using Webflow, and it is asking us to add a CNAME record, which we have already done, and it also states that we must remove the existing AAAA record from our domain www.carbontoken.info. This is a system record which I cannot edit or remove.
Thanks

@madmartian Welcome to the Netlify community.

You seem to have your DNS with Netlify, but not your hosting.

|======================== check for server ======================
| ---------------------- should be Netlify ----------------------
| ---------------------- carbontoken.info ----------------------
< Server: openresty

| -------------------- www.carbontoken.info --------------------
< Server: openresty
|================================================================

Also, your CNAME is pointing away from Netlify.

|======================= dig CNAME(s) for =======================
| -------------------- www.carbontoken.info --------------------
| ------------ will be blank when using Netlify DNS -------------
proxy-ssl.webflow.com.
|================================================================

Perhaps you could share a bit more about your set-up?

Yes, that is why we need the AAAA record removed. We host our main site through webflow… and sub domains are running on netlify. At the moment the website without www works fine… but with www returns an error :slight_smile:

@madmartian I’m seeing just the opposite – www does not work but apex domain does.

What subdomains are supposed to be running on Netlify?

Defintitely carbontoken.info is not working correctly.

CARBON (carbontoken.info) works fine.

Othere subdomains: tests, tokens, rewards, proofs all on netlify and working fine.

Hi, @madmartian. The NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6 type DNS records are alias records that resolve to the closest CDN node for the system making the DNS looking (geographical IP lookups).

The NETLIFY type records return A records (IPv4 addresses) and the NETLIFYv6 records return AAAA records (IPv6 addresses).

There is more information about these types of DNS records here:

If you delete those NETLIFY/NETLIFYv6 records for the domain names in question, those A and AAAA records will stop being returned.

OK. So how can we get www to resolve? That is the only issue I have at the moment.
Thanks

Hi, @madmartian. It is currently resolving when I test:

$ dig www.carbontoken.info

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> www.carbontoken.info
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 55460
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.carbontoken.info.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.carbontoken.info.	3593	IN	CNAME	proxy-ssl.webflow.com.
proxy-ssl.webflow.com.	53	IN	CNAME	proxy-ssl-geo.webflow.com.
proxy-ssl-geo.webflow.com. 53	IN	A	34.218.6.194
proxy-ssl-geo.webflow.com. 53	IN	A	35.166.52.177
proxy-ssl-geo.webflow.com. 53	IN	A	34.208.226.23

;; Query time: 25 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Thu Apr 15 01:15:49 PDT 2021
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 160

Ah sorry. Without www is the problem.

Hi, @madmartian. I do see the two following A records returned:

carbontoken.info.	3599	IN	A	99.83.190.102
carbontoken.info.	3599	IN	A	75.2.70.75

These are the records I see configured here:

https://app.netlify.com/account/dns/carbontoken.info

The AAAA record for the apex domain is coming for the NETLIFYv6 type DNS record for that name found on the page above. If you delete the NETLIFYv6 type records for any domain names on that page, the AAAA records will stop working.

If there are other questions, please let us know.

Hi there,
I think I need to ask the question slightly differently… How can I get https://carbontoken.info to resolve to https://www.carbontoken.info

www works fine is hosted away from netlify.

Thanks

Hi, @madmartian. Well, with the way that this is worded you would need to redesign the internet first (but there is a workaround - I’m just being playful).

I say this because, technically speaking, you cannot resolve an apex domain into a www subdomain because that would require making a CNAME record for the apex domain.

CNAME records on the apex domain are not allowed as part of the DNS specification. However, this is so often requested that many DNS services do support this, Netlify DNS included, even though DNS wasn’t designed to do this.

To do this, you use a special an ALIAS type record which will return the same IP address as the www subdomain. The type ALIAS is the unofficial DNS record type.

ALIAS records use a domain name for the value and our service will directly respond with the IP address for the domain name used as the value.

Let’s say the IP address you want example.com to point to made-up-subdomain.example-number-two.com.

The value for the Netlify DNS record would look like this:

If there are other questions or concerns, please let us know.

I really find the support here to be less than helpful. So I used the word resolve instead of redirect. So, can you just give clear and concise instructions on how to make it so that www.carbontoken.info will show the website that is hosted at https://carbontoken.info

I have tried to create the Alias, but your instructions dont make sense “To do this, you use a special an ALIAS type record which will return the same IP address as the www subdomain”, it is the www sub domain that we are trying to get working correctly.

@madmartian You should be able to handle this yourself without adding or deleting any DNS entries via your Netlify dashboard.

Currently, you seem to have delegated Netlify for your DNS, but somehow your custom domain isn’t pointing at your project files, and your www subdomain is pointing at a webflow.com address.

You should need too much support for this, because it’s well covered in the documentation.

The issue is that no www redirect has been setup. According to this article: Sites with multiple domains | Netlify Docs

It should have had a www redirect setup already… but that is not the case. I only see the single domain… none with www. And when I try to add www verison in custom domains I get an error.

@madmartian Have you tried deleting your custom domain from your project and re-adding it? If you do, Netlify may assign different name servers, so of course you would have to make these changes with your registrar.