Please read! End of support for Trusty build image: Everything you need to know

Hmm, I don’t entirely understand why I, as a user, need to take action on this. I would understand if I had selected a specific version of Ruby or another dependency, but I never did. As I understand it, a default was assigned when I created the build, and that default is just no longer valid.

What seems proper to me is that I should now get a different default. Sure, people who have specifically selected a different dependency version will need to take action, but those people probably already know that they pinned the dependency version.

In my case, I’d be perfectly happy to have all my defaults blown away and recreated with the latest defaults, that will actually work. Even telling me that you’ll automatically upgrade the versions would be confusing, because I’m not aware of anything like this (“I just used the image and installed my Python package on it, why am I getting a message about Go?”).

1 Like

This is super helpful feedback, thanks for taking the time to share- I’ll pass along to the team that’s working on this

Hi @Stavros,

The build image is like a dependency, and it matters to many people. It’s like upgrading the OS version. The build-in packages will now have a different version, if you’re using legacy tools, they might not work at all with newer versions of the OS and so on. We wanted to give users enough time to make a change - that’s all.

1 Like

@Jinksi, first I must say that I don’t want to speak for @hrishikesh (but clearly people only say that when they are about to). Personally, I’m glad that you took the time to share this and, again - not to speak for him, but I’m fairly sure @hrishikesh is as well. :+1:

Also, not to detract from your effort, but I also wanted to share that @jlengstorf from here at Netlify has created this npm package to migrate all sites on an account to Focal:

2 Likes

No problem! ntl-focal-migrate looks great, a more robust method with account filtering etc.

Thanks @luke and @jlengstorf :+1:

@jamesh you freaking saved me. Thank you :raised_hands:

I had the same error and for some miraculous reason setting the env var RUBY_VERSION to 2.7.0 fixed the build.

This was particularly confusing because my app is a Gatsby application – no ruby is involved or required in our build command.

Hi, If you only use HTML and JavaScript this may work for you:
Step 1: Change from Trusty 14 to Focal 20, Save.
Step 2: Make any changes to the Git repository code to force deploy.
Step 3: Open a beer

:wave: Hey folks, in order to give users more time to migrate their sites, we’ve decided to extend support of the Trusty build image until October 4, 2021.

We’ve also added some indicators in the UI so you can more easily find and update your Trusty sites. In the sites list, sites set to Trusty are marked with a :warning: warning icon.

warning-icon

Clicking the icon opens a tooltip with a link to the site’s build image settings.

We’re also working on some improvements to smooth the experience for sites pinned with an older version of Ruby. Expect another update in a few days!

Update: To ensure a smoother upgrade experience, we are now automatically setting the RUBY_VERSION to 2.7.2 when you upgrade to Focal and we detect that an old version of Ruby is pinned (lower than 2.4). Thanks for your patience and feedback, everyone!

5 Likes

Hi.
Does the Canonical announcement about extending lifecycle for Ubuntu 14.04 (and 16.04) change your decision: https://ubuntu.com/blog/ubuntu-14-04-and-16-04-lifecycle-extended-to-ten-years ?
Thanks

Hi @Unow,

As posted on your Twitter thread, Trusty will still be deprecated next week.

Thank you for this explanation, @verythorough. Is it possible to upgrade the build image for manually-deployed sites? I tried enabling the Algolia plugin, but received an “Incompatible with Plugins” error which states, “In order to use plugins, you will need to switch the site build image from Trusty to Xenial”

Hi @miles!

When you deploy a site manually (for example, by drag & drop or running netlify deploy in the CLI), we don’t run a build of your site. We just take the list of files you want to deploy, check to see whether we’ve deployed them before, and deploy any new or changed ones.

Since manual deploys don’t have a build step, it means that there is no build image, and it also means you can’t install build plugins, because they need a build environment in which to run. The error message you received doesn’t really make that clear, though, so I’ll file an issue to account for manual deploys.

If you do want to use build plugins, you’ll need to connect a Git repository for continuous deployment.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your kind and fast reply, @verythorough. Would it be possible to continue using manual deploys via drag and drop after connecting a Git repository? I’d rather not get another service involved if possible :smile:

Once git is connected @miles, you cannot use drag and drop, though you can still use Netlify CLI to deploy when git is connected.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for letting me know, @coelmay!

Glad it was helpful, @miles! As @coelmay noted, you can deploy via CLI after connecting a repo, but build plugins only run during a build. So if you deploy via CLI, the plugin won’t run, even if you have it installed on your site.

It is possible to run a Netlify build locally when you deploy from the CLI, using the netlify deploy --build command. However, not all plugins are made to work locally. The Algolia Crawler plugin, for example, only works in Netlify’s build environment, so you must deploy via Git in order to have it run.

2 Likes